PDA

View Full Version : DMAX meltdown ??

Richard Pelletier
08-29-2004, 07:43
After filling up, about 20 gal. at a new station in Hatteras NC, the engine shut down after 44 miles. White smoke poured out while trying to restart. The station said they think they had some water in their tank. I got no warning from the water in fuel sensor. The tank was drained and a new filter placed by a local. The engine would not start, just lots of white smoke. There is a definite smell of GAS in the fuel that was dumped. I kept a sample for the future. The owner of the station was also infected, but did not shot down. After a 150 mile tow to my dealer, they are still unable to restart the engine. That was on Friday so I guess they will try again Monday. I hope this is not a 55,000 mile meltdown.

quadrunner500
08-29-2004, 09:44
One possibility for white smoke is a failed head gasket, causing coolant to get into the combustion chamber. Not saying that is the case for you.

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2004, 13:26
Too much gasoline in your fuel system will cause those symptoms, exactly.

It will not hurt anything, but you have to drain/fill the fuel tank and flush the entire system of the gas until it starts. Once you get enough #2 to fire, it will be OK.

You will have to change the fuel filter again. It would be to your benefit to add an ounce or two of 2 stroke oil (any kind) to the dirty side of the filter to help things out in the pump. Bleed the air from the system and pump up the pressure with the bleeder pump. It should fire within 6-10 seconds. If not, bleed again and pump up the pressure. You should be pumping the bleeder pump until you feel significant resistance. This will help the fuel pump purge any free air that has gotten into the system.

I would not pursue the head gasket suspicion until the fuel system has been purged of whatever got in there. You did say the fuel station stated they know they got some gas in their #2 tank, so no matter what happens, they are responsible, even if it means a new engine. They have insurance for just such things. If not, it's their fault.

More Power
08-29-2004, 16:19
I heard some time ago from a 6.5 owner who mistakenly put gas in his half full tank. This 50% mix caused the loss of some glow plug tips, due to extreme heat.

Might not hurt to pull a couple of the glow plugs, to look for any signs of heat damage. If so, then I'd dig deeper.
:(

MP

Richard Pelletier
09-01-2004, 03:52
Well, the dealer has had the truck for 3 full days. I called yesterday and they still had not been able to get it started. They called GM tech. assistance and was told to drain the tank, lines , and replace the filter again. Maybe today.

:confused: :confused:

Richard Pelletier
09-03-2004, 17:47
Well after 6 working days at the dealer, they finally called me back to let me know they still are unable to start the engine. The have complied with all that GM Tec. Assist. had to offer, draining fuel system twice, changing fuel filter twice, no go. Now I am told that when trying to start the engine, oil is coming out of the exhaust. They feel major internal damage, and recommend replacing the engine. The dealer is estimating with the 150 mile tow, including a new pump, $18,000. The owner of the station is giving me the impression that it will not be a problem. The dealer needs a verbal, from whom ever is going to pay for the engine, before they can order the engine. This is going to be a LONG week end for me. I will post when I hear more.

:(

David Proske
09-07-2004, 06:04
Since I have been driving diesels, every time I fill up I wonder if I am getting a good tank of fuel; more yet that it is actually diesel. I buy from only 2 stations in my area so if something happens I know who to call out.

At least you are getting a new motor. I would also hope they are going to install a entire new fuel system as well. Now you have to worry about how competent the dealer guys are at installing a motor.

Richard Pelletier
09-13-2004, 04:58
Well now it's a battle between the insurance companies. The owner of the station has filed a claim with his insurance company on Friday the 10th, because of the run around from the oil company. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks without my truck. The dealer wanted to replace the engine with a rebuilt engine but I insisted that only a NEW engine would I accept. They will be ordering a new LLY for replacement. I never had a moments problem with the old 2002, 55,000 mile engine. I do not know what the difference is in the two, I just hope I will be satisfied with the new engine. Perhaps someone can explain the difference and if the new LLY is really better. Thanks.

jbplock
09-13-2004, 07:40
Richard,

Here are two links regarding the new features of the LLY...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lly2004.htm
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007452

smile.gif

Richard Pelletier
09-13-2004, 09:04
Bill, thanks for the great info.

Richard

MIKE WIENER
09-13-2004, 15:56
RICHARD

You may want to ask around I would not think the LLY can be put in for a LB7. I would think the computers are defrint. And the old could not be reflashed. Or are they evan plumed and wired the same. Like I said I would ask some ? Hate to see you waight around for the wrong moter.

MIKE

Richard Pelletier
09-14-2004, 05:37
Mike has brought up a good question. Does anyone know if an engine change from a LB7 to a LLY will work with out too many mods? The dealer said the only NEW engines, (not rebuilt) he can order are the LLY. Thanks for any info.

Richard
ps. still waiting for the word from insurance company to order engine

hd90rider
09-14-2004, 13:33
I was told when my Dura, went south, that the new motor(LLY) could not be put in the 02.

crew84
09-14-2004, 14:05
I think that GM would have to have a new replacement motor for the LB7 available. What would happen to all the 2004 LB7's that are still in their first year warranty. GM would be in hot water trying to put in a rebuilt in a truck with less than a year. I think that probably GM has adapters or ways to use the LB7 hardware on the new block.