PDA

View Full Version : crossover

d.h.
10-18-2005, 20:10
I,am needing to replace my crossover pipe and have noticed that the studs look less than ideal.I,m thinking of cutting pipe (old one) and removing manifold to make easier.Drivers side appears the worst and manifold looks fairly easy to remove.I figure if they break that its a lot easier to repair in vise then under truck.Has anyone found an easier way or am I on the right track.I checked searches but didn,t see to much to do with this. Thanks

DA BIG ONE
10-19-2005, 00:33
Originally posted by d.h.:
I,am needing to replace my crossover pipe and have noticed that the studs look less than ideal.I,m thinking of cutting pipe (old one) and removing manifold to make easier.Drivers side appears the worst and manifold looks fairly easy to remove.I figure if they break that its a lot easier to repair in vise then under truck.Has anyone found an easier way or am I on the right track.I checked searches but didn,t see to much to do with this. Thanks Old tried and true method; Heat stud w/torch, or just let motor get to operating temps and apply parrifin wax to it (careful of HOT drip), the wax will be drawn up into the threads. It should break loose w/o any real trouble. This method has worked for me on may occasions when PB Blaster would not, not that PB is bad!

This wax can be had from any good hardware store most commonly used for sealing mason jars when canning food, & candles too.

d.h.
10-19-2005, 18:39
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of wax for removing seized bolts.Will file in mental vault for use at later date.I ended up removing manifold taking to shop and welding nut onto broken piece.With the aid of a torch for heat it came out. ;)