PDA

View Full Version : It can Breath

tloomis
02-19-2004, 11:19
Hi Guys
Been a while but been real busy. Over the last couple weeks I have been working on my truck. First I replaced Injectors and Glow Plugs. I noticed some improvement. Next I replaced the stock exhaust with JK's 3.5" system. WOW!!! what a change. It can Breath!!! I can here the Turbo and the throttle response is increadable. The biggest surprise is that I have the L56 with the EGR system and a while back I had to do some Injection Pump work and had the Upper Intake off. When I seen all that carbon buildup I decided to plug off the EGR which of course set the SES light. Well with the new Exhaust system the SES light is gone.

The only problem I have now is at startup and shutdown the new Down Pipe is tapping the fire wall. I may need to change engine mounts they may be getting warn.

Can't say enough about JK's service. If they have it in stock you will have it with in a few days of ordering it.

ucdavis
02-19-2004, 13:32
You can probably fix the downpipe/firewall issue w/a prybar & putting a small indent in the pipe where it hits. This'll be much easier than more extrapolated fixes and you probably couldn't find the loss in HP w/the finest gauges known to man.
Or you could take a random sledge hammer to it like GM did...

Dvldog 8793
02-19-2004, 13:48
Pry-bar and hammer all the way! :D
Mine was hitting the firewall heat shield not the firewall itself. It still taps it if I REALLY put the hammer down, but then there is so much other noise that you don't really notice! :D
Have Fun!
L8r
Conley Janssen

autocrosser
02-19-2004, 16:11
Are you sure it's hitting the firewall and not the frame? When I installed the JK exhaust on my 96 2wd 2500 I had a very small clearance problem between the corner of the frame and the downpipe. I heated it with my torch and put a small inward bubble in it where it was rubbing.

patrick m.
02-19-2004, 16:22
it takes some work, but you can find the "sweet" spot. if it is too low, it will hit the frame in drive, too high, it will hit the body in reverse.
loosen the clamp, shift the pipe a little, tighten the clamp. this got my pipe in the clear.

whatnot
02-19-2004, 18:55
That's one good thing about a body lift.
A 4" downpipe would have fit easy on mine with no rubbing.

gwaidman
02-19-2004, 21:03
Hey Whatnot, you say that you have a body lift in your diesel truck?! What kit did you use and how did the install go? As far as I can see, the only issue would be the turbo, but I have yet to find some one with a body lift on a GM diesel. Your comments? Maybe I should have posted a new thread...