PDA

View Full Version : If it weren't for bad luck...

Tony J.
05-25-2005, 15:33
Sold my '95 K3500 6.5 yesterday (verbal on phone only)to a guy who had looked at it the day before. Within 5 minutes, my wife calls me (she's driving it), and tells me it's dead by the road on her. Tow it to a shop, it spit out a BUNCH of codes, and looks like the IP took a dump. 159K on it, the only 2 times it's broken down are the day I bought it (PMD failed- seller fixed before I picked up), and the day I sold it. Effin' thing! No word yet on what the bill's going to be- looking like the pump alone is $1300 plus $400 or so labor.

MY BUTT HURTS!

I can't tell you how ****ed I am- I'm thinking about keeping it now and driving it another couple years, but with my luck next thing that'll happen will be that nice block cracking thing you guys are all talking about now. I already replaced it with a 99 V10 F250 4x4 crew with 70K that I absolutely STOLE, so maybe I should follow through with the sale instead of living in fear every time I drive the 6.5.

Aaaaarrgggghhhhhhhh!!!! :mad:

This forum scares the #!*% out of me every time I read it... :eek:

ace58
05-25-2005, 15:46
Stick with your plan. The bleeding is over. Good luck with the Ford.

fastcat800
05-26-2005, 09:25
Probably is not the IP from what I have seen in posts of how they fail. They hardly ever just quit running completly. Sounds electrical because it quit completly. PMD, OPS, LP or a sensor. You are going to need the money you saved buying that Ford to put fuel in it.

Shad
05-26-2005, 13:13
Sorry to here that... I just went through the same thing back in winter with mine while trying to sell. So now I have 2 trucks, my other also a v-10. I just can't justify sticking 2000.00 into the 6.5L and selling the truck for 4500.00 to 6000.00.. Fortunatly I have an understanding wife which "ALLOWED" me keep both trucks so now latley the suburban does all the dirty work haulin dogs and work stuff and the Excursion stays pretty for towing the camper and going out and stuff.. Man I feel your pain and my butt still hurts the same. Good Luck with your decision.
Shad G.

Shad
05-26-2005, 13:20
Oh ya I forgot to say that I am constantly reminded about the "ALLOWED" part by my wife. So please keep that in mind while making your decision.
Hope this helps

Tony J.
05-26-2005, 17:48
Well, I moved it from my mechanic's shop to the dealer today, after my mechanic said they can't do the repair- don't have right equipment for the fuel system or something. Took them 2 days to figure that out??? They referred me to another place in town who quoted me $2,300 for an IP, installed. I took it to the dealer instead (svc. mgr. is a friend), and they troubleshot it again from scratch, and it IS definitely the IP. It'll be done tomorrow, about $1,800 OTD. Sheeeesh. I called the prospective buyer back (I had a verbal with him BEFORE it broke), and told him I hated to do it, but I needed to renegue our deal and leave it on the market- not with a higher price, but firmer (I had come down $1,000 with him). Anyway, he wanted to renegotiate, so I got him up $800, so now it's only costing me a grand out of pocket...

Oh well- it's been a good truck for the last year and a half. I wish it coulda waited another year before taking this crap though!

curmudge1
05-27-2005, 07:53
I hope this doesn't infect the Blazer 6.5TD I'm selling!!! ;) but that's another post.

On topic here, the sudden death is EXACTLY what happened to my previous IP... driving to work, no previous symptoms, & it just died. Couple of almost starts, then nothing. Dead IP, it had had a reasonably long life from what I've read... over 100K, but I don't recall precisely. Didn't have an FSD cooler or anything.

IIRC, dealers are only installing BRAND NEW pumps, with FSD, is that what you're getting? Mine cost about $2200 3 years ago, GMC dealer, and that was a bit less than the Chevy dealer.

Hope it all works out for you, with as little pain as possible.

moondoggie
05-27-2005, 08:00
Good Day!

curmudge1: Did they install your old FSD/PMD on the replacement IP? I ask because that would be quite unusual, based on what I

Shad
05-27-2005, 17:00
Take it back I sold mine today too. Now down to only 1 suv again.

Tony J.
05-29-2005, 06:42
Well, it cost me $2,023, I renegotiated another $800 out of my buyer, and the deal's done- truck's gone!

Interesting note about the PMD- I had the Heath PMD isolator on the truck- they didn't mention whether they installed a new PMD with the IP or not. Wish it was here so I could look and see how they did it...

Nah- I don't really wish it was here. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm no longer a diesel owner (for now). I must say that this forum has been very helpful, albeit sometimes a little frightening. Thanks much for your input over the last year and a half- and it was cool meeting a few of you in Missoula last summer (I was only there for a couple hours).

Good luck to all of you!
Tony J.