PDA

View Full Version : Waste Gate Actuator

HoosierGMC2500
09-09-2003, 21:22
I think my waste gate actuator is not functioning properly. I bought my truck about four weeks ago and prior to purchase notice the actuator wired in the "up" position. It has run fine unwired but I have my doubts. I would like to buy a new one and need information. I have a stock 1996 GMC 2500 with an unmodified 6.5 TD. I would also like to add a boost gage to keep an eye on things. A phone number or web site plus part number for the actuator would be great. THANKS!

Great forum!

Bill
New Palestine, Indiana

Kennedy
09-09-2003, 22:14
The actuators seldom go bad, but the vacuum pump and solenoids do. Best is to check source vacuum, and then vacuum at actuator.

With the wire removed, the actuator should work freely with the engine off, and close tightly at idle.

Vac pump should pull 25"hg, and should be around 18" at the actuator. Someone could have wired it shut for more boost, but it's a short lived "high" as you typically only get 15 seconds...

HoosierGMC2500
09-11-2003, 18:02
John,

Thanks for your help. With engine off it does move freely. At idle it is pulled up. It appears to be working fine.

Thanks again

Kollin Syverson
09-11-2003, 18:57
I would personally scrap the stock actuator and put on a Turbo-Master actuator. My stock actuator was still working when I replaced it, but my boost was fluctuating and would tend to surge under a hard pull. It would range from 8-12
psi. Of course when boost drops off, so does the power. I installed the Turbo-Master, and now I let my foot decide when to drop off boost. I have mine set to unload at about 14 psi under hard pull. You can check these out at
www.turbo-master.com. (http://www.turbo-master.com.) They run a little over $60 and install in minutes.