PDA

View Full Version : Mech Fuel System

Barra
02-20-2004, 19:38
Greetings!

I've seen a number of posts and articles about putting mechanical fuel systems on the 6.5TD (I have a 95 'burb, k2500 4x4). What's the payoff? And how involved (and expensive) is it?

Thanks!

Barry Nave
02-22-2004, 14:09
Order the 98&99 Feature Articles and Product Reviews. Has the whole story :D
Involved :eek:
Complicated is when a turbocharger and auto trans. enters. All pcm controled but can be bypassed. Injection lines are larger on a DS4,Throttle pedal assembly mods, Cruise control won't work,Ect. :eek:
It can be done though why :confused:
The DS4 pump and the upgrades that can be done has the Elct. set up working for years to come :D

Bobbie Martin
02-22-2004, 17:59
I've seen a number of posts and articles about putting mechanical fuel systems on the 6.5TD (I have a 95 'burb, k2500 4x4). What's the payoff? And how involved (and expensive) is it?
I did this on our 95 Suburban. Its fairly involved and cost $1000-2000, depending on the pump you use, etc. The payoff is you no longer have to worry about the DS4.

Order the 98&99 Feature Articles and Product Reviews. Has the whole story
Involved Sorry, but there is very little there to really help you. You cannot do the swap with only the info in these reprints.

Complicated is when a turbocharger and auto trans. enters. All pcm controled but can be bypassed. Injection lines are larger on a DS4,Throttle pedal assembly mods, Cruise control won't work,Ect. Turbo is very easy, Auto trans is the hard part. The injection lines do need replacing, throttle pedal has to be changed (very easy), cruise is cheap & not too hard to do.

It can be done though why
The DS4 pump and the upgrades that can be done has the Elct. set up working for years to come
Well, some would disagree. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I have owned our Suburban for 8+ years and I never had a DS4 that "worked for years".

Barry Nave
02-23-2004, 03:14
If one can not keep a DS4 working then there are other issue than a pump, with the elect system.
Mech. pump will get you out of being a Elect-or eng-ner :D