PDA

View Full Version : please advise with no start condition

diesel powered
05-26-2005, 18:14
I just finished after pulling motor to fix a blown head gasket. I went ahead and installed a new timing gear drive and hp injectors. No that the motor is back in a cannot get it to start. I can hear the lift pump and fuel flows out the drain valve. I can hear the glow plug solenoid click on and off. I cracked the injector lines and see fuel coming out between the line and the injector. A friend of mine suggested that we squirt WD-40 into the turbo as we crank over the motor (feel free to critize this manuver if it was a bad idea) and it didn't seem to help much. Once and a while the motor will start coughing like it might start and their is some smoke coming out the exhaust. I don't know what else to check I am concerned that maybe somehow the timing marks are off somwhere between either the crank/cam/pump but am not look forward to tearing it back apart just to make sure it is correct (it seemed pretty obvious that the marks lined up during assembly). Any ideas???

charliepeterson
05-26-2005, 18:28
If you have fuel coming out of the injectors it should start. You may be off one tooth? I would pull the radiator to gain some working room for the R&R of the timing cover. The fact that it's coughing and trying to start is good but the timing must be dead on.
If you can get hold of a scanner try looking to see if the engine is throwing any codes. W-D 40 is much safer than either but be carefull.

diesel powered
05-26-2005, 18:42
I own a snap-on scanner but didn't try looking for codes, didn't think there would be any since it never started, but i can definitely try that. Would the truck run on the WD alone regardless on pump timing???

diesel powered
05-26-2005, 20:15
I looked for codes and there were none. I did notice that injector timing read 14deg, which seems a little high to me. I tried to start the motor again and this time it finally started but very rough. Now code 91,92,94,95,96, and 98 have been set. Timing has changed to 10 deg but that I not sure when that value changed, after I got it running I tried running it whith the crank sensor unplugged and I also tried rotating the pump but neither seemed to help. Does this point to a timing gear out of place?

One seperate question that is somewhat related is how does the ecm measure the injection timing?? I understand there is a crank postion sensor but there isn't a sensor for pump postion.

JohnC
05-27-2005, 09:22
Pump timing is indicated by the optical sensor. The timing probably retarded itself once the engine started. The codes are cylinder balance codes. Probably needs to work the air out of the injection lines...