PDA

View Full Version : Considering defecting to Excursion V-10

jspringator
10-18-2004, 13:50
After my recent adventure in the Virginia-West Virginia mountains, combined with the poor brakes that were at least partially responsible for me rear ending a car, that rear ended a truck which... well, you get the idea. Brake upgrades will cost about $1,500, plus installation, for rear disks with new calipers in front. No one can fix the rear axle seal. I still need an exhaust and a new program. PMD is failing again. If this pump and turbo last as long as they did the first time, I will need both in 15,000 miles. It might be cheaper to trade. I can probably get $10,000 for mine, and can get a 2000 V-10 Excursion for $17,000. 9,600 tow rating. I don't think my 13 MPG non towing will be that much better. I am afraid of getting stranded on the side of the road with a cracked block, with 4 kids, 1000 miles from home. If I wait until then, I will HAVE to have it fixed, to the tune of another $5,000.

My Sub is in the body shop now. If things go as planned, I might have a new car this Saturday.

Keith Richards
10-18-2004, 16:58
If things are going that bad a trade might not be a bad idea,but a gas motor?If your going to a ford why not opt for the diesel.I know a lot of people who swear by those diesel excursions.I would'nt mine owning one.The gas milage will give you almost as much anxiety as all the problems your suburbans giving you.Good luck either way.

JeepSJ
10-18-2004, 19:11
The V-10's have a problem with blowing out spark plugs. There are only 3-4 threads holding the plug in and they have a tendency to blow themselves out of the head, taking the threads with them. If you go Ford, go Powerstroke. You will not get 13 mpg towing with the V-10 - that will be your empty mileage if you take it easy. You will be below 10 while towing.

john8662
10-18-2004, 19:22
Hmm, I am just about diesel all the way, but even I am having second thoughts now. The only thing I have that runs on gas it my honda 4wheeler. But with the costs of fuel I have to wonder if its worth it now. I mean today I pulled up and gave 2.12 for a gallon of diesel and gas was 1.89. I think premium was less. Now isn't diesel the less refined fuel, cheaper to refine, hence less cost? Well you'd think so! But according to some reasearch I have been doing it looks like its going to be worse for awhile. Here's my logic, there are more diesel fueled vehicles here in the US on the road now than ever before. The market share for diesel fueled vehicles is becoming larger, not in huge amounts. And we all know diesel engines last longer, so there are more over the hill trucks (like mine) still putting along, so a continued demand. The problem lies in that the US refineries are setup to manufacture gasoline, and some diesel, per the demand, and heating oils (similar to diesel). The main issue is that they can't meet the demand for making diesel fuel, not setup for the current or additional demand. Now with winter here or approaching heating oil will be in higher demand, and a shift towards making that will take away from how much diesel is made. I don't like this cycle. I know the price of oil is high, and gas isn't that cheap, but come on! I know I am just griping about 2.12 per gal (its probably cheap as compared to some other areas) but I am kinda tired of getting no respect for driving a cleaner burning more efficient powered vehicle. If you're living in the US, you might as well run a gasser, if you can't beat em, join em. I am still keeping mine, but will be bitter till I pay less! :mad:

As to the post at hand, NO! don't buy a gutless V10 ford gasser, the only thing they do is get bad fuel mileage, at least get a powerjoke! ;)

Low_Bridge
10-19-2004, 04:02
Yes you would be defecting!!!!!!!

But GM has ruined their "trucks". I more than feel your frustration. My 94 got parked again probably because of tranny electronics. This is a PITA!!

eracers999
10-19-2004, 04:12
Good luck with your new ford, your gonna need it.

Kent

jspringator
10-19-2004, 09:07
I get 13 mpg non towing; as low as 7.5 and as high as 8.5 towing with my 6.5td. I don't think the V10 will do much worse than that. The key to the spark plug thing is torque them every 50,000 miles or so. I only long tow 5 times or so per year. I have a Miata to drive on out of town business things, or around town when I am by myself. Last tip with the 6.5 I had to put it in 3rd and rev to 2700 RPM just to maintain a reasonable speed. The v10 at 65 MPG, no OD was 2500 RPM, and about 1/4 as loud as my diesel at that RPM. Sure, I would like a diesel if I towed every weekend, but I don't think I could ever recoup the cost difference during my ownership life of the vehicle in fuel costs, especially since the cost of V10's is low, and the cost of PSD's are high. Maintenance costs on an older PSD would be significantly higher. The fuel cost is higher when you consider the diesel treatment you have to add. Also, who knows the effect on current diesel engines when more of the sulfur is eliminated. Ultimately, I want this vehicle to be used for 2 times a week people hauling and vacation towing into its old age without a lot of special maintenance requirements.

jdmetcalf57
10-19-2004, 16:54
Something else to consider. I have been looking at trading my truck for a Cummins but have decided just to make some mods on my truck. What some dealers had told me and it appears to be true is that the Gas gusslers V10 454 etc are really coming down in value. I could have bought a 99 K2500 454 for 4K less than book and almost all of the cummins are selling for book to 4-5K above. I suspect this trend will continue if gas prices stay high. A 12V cummins manual with extedended cab will probably not stay on a lot 1 week. The 24Vs last a little longer.

catmandoo
10-19-2004, 17:55
john your right beings winters coming on sales of heating oil is going up and so is the price,and we just happen to use about the same thing so we get socked too.should have stockpiled about 1000 gallons when the price was down.that would get me thru til end of march.back in august it was 175 around here now it's 2.12,could have saved over 300.00 ,gonna have to think about that next year!!!

moedog
10-19-2004, 18:08
THE V-10 S WE HAVE AT WORK HAVE BEEN GOOD. THEY LOVE GAS AND REALLY ARE ONLY ADEQUATE FOR POWER,YOU CANT HOTROD THEM WITH ANY POWER INCREASES OR THEY BREAK. THE 2003 POWER STROKES ARE LEMONS. THE 2002 WAS A GOOD YEAR AND NOW THE 2005'S ARE APPEARING TO BE OK. WHY DONT YOU TRADE DOWN TO AN OLDER BURBAN WITH A 454 IF GAS IS NO PROBLEM, DO SOME POWER INCREASES AND CALL IT GOOD!!!!
IM PUTIING A CUMMINS IN MY 97 CREWCAB BUT IT AINT CHEAP.

Spindrift
10-20-2004, 04:36
moedog,

I've been thinking ahead to the time when the 'ole girl just won't have what it takes to get over the next hill. The thought of a Cummins in place of the 6.5TD has only been a dream at this point. I've received absolutely no positive feedback about a swap. Apparently, the Cummins is too long to properly fit. What's your plan?

catmandoo
10-20-2004, 16:28
kinda off topic here but hey moedog see you have a 69 hurst olds,man i used to have lots of oldsmobiles,70 w-31 cutlass,3-69 442's 66 442 and a barebones 65 with 2-4bbl's ,still have the 2-4 engine.came out of a 70 toro gt.

kowsoc
10-20-2004, 22:03
We have both the V-10's and 2003 Powerstrokes at work and I would definitely go for the diesel. It uses a lot less fuel and has almost twice the power of the gasser. It has the annoying PSD cackle....I don't think I would ever get used to it. :D The V-10 has disappointing power and sounds wierd. Why not test drive both at the dealer?

As far as Dodge, the Hemi is also hard on fuel and the diesel is getting expensive.

65turboman
10-21-2004, 08:47
A new body style 2500 suburban with the 6.0L or 8.1L gas or an old body style with the 454 would be good also if you are not going with any diesel. I believe a suburban with either of these engines would perform just as well or better than the excursion V-10.

markrinker
10-23-2004, 14:11
Definately Suburban over Excursion, if you tow regularly.

ace58
10-24-2004, 14:56
I understand the attraction to the Ford, at this time of year with their pricing, but I would agree with the others that the Suburban with the 6.0 or 8.1 would be a better choice than the V-10 Ford. When my 1999 6.5 Suburban started using antifreeze, and before the big rebuild began, I bought a 2004 1500 Suburban with a 5.3 for my wife and am impressed with the new body style ride and performance. I can't offer any information about towing ability but, at least test drive a GM before buying.

jspringator
10-24-2004, 16:21
The dealer tried to jack me around on the trade. First he wanted to give me $4000, then 6,000. After I left, he called on my cell phone to tell me he would give me $8,000. Why do they do that? Since the book (trade in) is $10,800, he is going to have to do better than that. Maybe I will mount that stud girdle kit after all. A rear disk conversion can be had for only a small fee! That would fix my major concerns.

ace58
10-24-2004, 18:27
I had the same experience with the dealership I bought my 2004 at. The salesman was straight forward on the new vehicle deal and I was honest about my 1999. He said he would allow me what the wholesaler offered. $5000. No thanks, I'll keep it. Its in mint condition and should be running within the month. If he offered me $8-9000, I may have jumped at it although I am enjoying this project.

markelectric
10-27-2004, 11:30
`` I realize we are not supposed to talk about "sales" on the forum, but without a way to PM someone here I go. Jim your 99 sub sounds like something I may be very interested in should you want to sell it. You can email me at "markpamelectric[at]yahoo.com" you know how to alter the address.
Thanks

jspringator
10-27-2004, 13:55
Mark, my deal fell through, and I have decided to keep my Suburban. Thank you for your interest. If it breaks down I will just have to live with it. Since I rear ended all those cars, my interest has changed from going fast (intercooler) to stopping (need brake job, BIG brake job).

I don't think anyone who has driven one of those behemoths (Excursion)with the V10 would ever say they don't have power. Now, I didn't tow with it, but my impression was just the opposite. The engine was so smooth, I swear you could hardly hear it running.

Oh well, I have cast my lot with an oil burner, and there it shall remain.