PDA

View Full Version : Cold Starting Help! Opinions Wanted!!!

Shaun091382
02-22-2004, 10:10
Hello all, i just recently had my IP,injectors and glow plugs replaced by a third party fuel injection shop..when i picked it up I noticed immediately that the idle of the truck was much lower and had a more defined diesel "rattle" than before. I have a problem of trying to start it when it has cooled down now and sat for a day or so..i turn the key to "On" position and fully depress the accelerator as told to and then release it and when the glow plug light goes off i crank the engine. The engine kicks like it is going to start but then dies off and i am faced with repeating this 5 to 10 times with same results..i am forced to get it running by keeping my foot lightly on the throttle giving it fuel to start I dont have the slightest idea what the problem could be I asked a local chevy dealer about the low idle it now has and when he heard it he said he wouldnt want it any higher so i believe it is set right..Anyone have any suggestions as to what i can get my dealer to look at when i take it there? this cold start thing is no good..im feeling a starter will be going if i keep this up thanks for all the information.

Barry Nave
02-22-2004, 13:29
The rattle would be just more timing,if it's not to loud should be alright.Don't know if they timed it or just realign the pump marks?
Other then being sure that all 8 glow plugs are working and glow relay is OK, I would go for having the pump turned up for fuel like 1/8 of a turn and see how this works.
You have'nt said any thing about how she runs once started.
Power better then before the change,the same,less?
How about under load,any smoke?

Shaun091382
02-22-2004, 15:21
sorry bout the lack of information there. Once she is started she runs smooth no rough running..i find the same amount of power as before if there was an increase in power it would be very little and no under load there is no smoke a little bit of black and gray if I were to really hammer her down but thats not very often at all. I believe the pump was just lined up with scribe marks which i think is just static timing? i know there is a recommendation for timing it dynamically afterwards but no one around not even the dealer has the light probe to do the work and the dealership just told me the way it was installed should be sufficient.

Shaun091382
02-22-2004, 15:27
I have the Troubleshooting guide i bought from dieselpage.com and it says under hard starting that normally a cold engine is started with about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle so does this mean while crank i should be pressing the accelerator down? i tried depressing the accelerator all the way down to engage the fast idle start but it didnt help me while starting my engine.

john8662
02-22-2004, 15:39
Shaun,

You will get better starting while cold if you hold the accelerator petal down while cranking it about 1/4 way down. This way, the fast idle solenoid catches (so when you release after it starts it will idle faster and not die) and you give it some more fuel to fire on while cold. When starting my 6.2 up when its really cold outside, thats what I do, usally catches the first time and runs. So hold the petal down while cranking it, once it fires up, then release it, if it dies then, you still have some adjusting to do.

You say that your idle is low, you should be idling at 650rpm hot and 750 while cold (with the fast idle solenoid on). To adjust the hot idle speed use the screw in the picture, screw it in clockwise to get a faster idle. To adjust the fast idle solenoid idle speed you use the set screw on the top of the solenoid when cold, or make a jumper wire to hotwire it while its warm (as it only runs on the sensor while cold, once warm won't engage).

Use the pic below to identify the idle speed screw.

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/help/IP.jpg

Shaun091382
02-22-2004, 18:22
I'll try and use the throttle to get it going but I'm thinkin it still needs some kind of fine tuning as it is probably most likely to still die out so I will have to mention to the dealer to fine tune the cold and warm idle thanks for you input