PDA

View Full Version : Chips.

Barry Nave
02-23-2004, 02:52
After running the Banks for 6 years, I'm looking to update,upgrade if there is such a thing ;)
I would like some feed back on what your using and why you went to the chip your using.

patrick m.
02-23-2004, 15:50
I have JK's "bad boy" chip, i got the chip from him because im familliar with him, and am comfortable using his products.
I'm sure others have just as good of a product

Also, this chip adds the max amount of fuel, and deletes codes set from too much boost :D

pannhead
02-23-2004, 16:20
i have a BD chip i'm not entirely happy with :( ..i got a VERY nagging 78 which i was able to offset a little but not completely with the JK boost controller....i think i'm going to change chips...tell me more about that "bad boy" chip :eek: ...i want the MAX without the software headache i got from BD

Cowracer
02-23-2004, 16:33
bill heath Max-E-Tork chip here, and I love it. It pulls hard and have no codes or any other problems with it.

Tim

eracers999
02-23-2004, 16:33
Have the Kennedy middle of the road chip. I believe he said it would do an average 12 psi boost. Mine, does 14.5 to 16 at 2500 rpm in a pull and tapers off nicely around 2700 rpm to 12psi. Tranny holds full throttle, 3rd gear in lock up, 48 mph and up. Tranny holds full throttle in OD down to where you will manually put it in D.
Totally happy, it clears up so many drivability issues.
Kent

patrick m.
02-23-2004, 16:35
I think its the one he calls "TD-MAX".
I also had a BD chip, and it was ok, but i definetly get more performance, and a firmer shift under hard acceleration. and no codes :D
The egt guage will climb on up there, but only in the most extreme conditions.
Ive not been able to get it over 1000*F.
(my probe is in the cross pipe 2 inches from manifold)

Uncle Wally
02-23-2004, 16:58
Pat - I have the same chip as you. Mostly because of the non-wastegated turbo. The boost signal is hidden so there are no codes set for that. Excellent power and driveability. Not a problem with the engine since the upgrade. Everything has been transmission and front axle issues. I will be doing injectors soon too (160k). My EGT probe is in the exhaust manifold right before the turbo. Max temp so far has been 1100. I still need more time on this setup to see what it will do ni the mountains.

Excellent product with service - I recommend JK's chip.

Waldo

Barry Nave
02-23-2004, 17:33
TD-MAX chip, 3rd gear in lock up. That I like.
I dont know if I want to much for a heavy truck as mine for it's always under a load.
I'm just not happy with the Banks any more and there are better chips out now.
What meets my needs is what I have to find out.
So I'm hearing you all and taking it in ;)

pannhead
02-23-2004, 18:06
this may be a dumb question :rolleyes: ....seems all the venders want to know the pump# to order up a chip....how come BD never asked my pump# :confused: ???? it obviously does matter, could some-one explain how ?

rjschoolcraft
02-23-2004, 18:08
I have Kennedy's chip also. He calls all of his chips TDMax, but has different levels of performance. I like his because he has flexibility in what he gives you. It also performs very nicely. I would recommend his chip highly.

computer monkey
02-23-2004, 18:25
What reflashes has anyone tried on the 96 and later 6.5TD? I getting the Heath Max E Torque for mine and was wanting to know about other peoples experience.

Wheat Whacker
02-23-2004, 19:22
I currently have the Hypertech chip. Yes I like the performance difference but I bought this chip before I discovered the DP and JK otherwise I would have a JK chip hands down.

Uncle Wally
02-23-2004, 20:26
There is one IP that uses a different language protocol than the others. I know I have that pump model #, 5568 IIRC - don't quote me though. The pump was only used on the 94 HD truck engines. All others can interchange chips without a problem. This one needs a chip that has the same language protocol to operate correctly.

Waldo

Kennedy
02-23-2004, 20:45
Uncle Wally,

How high have you run your boost for a decent period of time? Just curious if ALL traces of the DTC 78 are completely erased. Tough to cover all angles.

The 5068 pump is the oddball.

BOOST is what makes them run with cooler EGT's. Knock on wood, we haven't seen any high boost failures yet, but a guy does need to realize the potential risks...

rjschoolcraft
02-23-2004, 20:51
Personally...

I'm beginning to believe that all the horror stories of blowing head gaskets and breaking head bolts are just that... horror stories. I'm running up to 14 psi boost under load now and the engine likes it very well. I think maybe a combination of high boost without intercooling or proper engine cooling might be behind some of those horror stories. In my current circumstance, I believe my engine is way better off now.