PDA

View Full Version : How long can you go on a Cracked Block?

Billman
05-29-2005, 08:08
All excited to do some upgrades this weekend. Gear drive(Chain was worn pretty good for 65k), Water pump, Balancer, Pulley, fix some oil leaks(pan), and Main Stud Girdle after all recent Engine Block Tragedies.

Until I got the Oil Pan off...

Block cracked. Main Webs 3&4.

Count me in as a member.

Whoopee...

john8662
05-29-2005, 10:21
Could see this one coming, since your above the stock power levels in a 6.5. I'm surprised that being a 97 that you didn't get the coolant in the oil cracking that plagued this vintage of engines. Sorry to hear/read this from another member!

How did the balancer look?
Is your truck an auto or manual?

I don't think that your engine is going to grenade any time soon though. Most cracks are found during a rebuild process and that just makes us go block hunting.

gmctd
05-29-2005, 11:50
Really sorry to hear that, Billman...........

Billman
05-29-2005, 18:23
Balancer/Pulley looked perfect, John. Truck is an Auto.

Re-flashed ECM & 15psi Boost, that's it. I haven't done any towing with it lately either. Won't be now.

Web 4 has a crack about 3/4".
Web 3 has a crack about 1/2".

I'm gonna 'Girdle It' for now & start lookin for Block/Pistons.

rjschoolcraft
05-29-2005, 21:41
The poll data is showing that modifications are not playing a major role here. These engines are prone to crack in stock trim. GM should be made to pay for these. It is terribly frustrating.

Billman, I would suggest the splayed main route on your recovery. It will be interesting to see how long your engine lasts with a known crack and the girdle added. Keep us updated.

eracers999
05-29-2005, 21:41
Sorry Billy, i know that feeling that you have. When i pulled mine down to do the stud gurdle, that was all she wrote. You have a lot of work to do so keep your head up. If you need a good machine shop to do splayed mains i think Cameron Racing Engines could help you out as quick as anyone. You will need a good block and crank together.

If i can help let me know. / Kent

john8662
05-29-2005, 22:03
I guess there really isn't any rhyme or reason to why they crack. I was just grasping for reasons why, thinking more boost or fuel would contribute.

I also have a theory on engines that have a manual transmission behind them being more prone to cracking. So far out of the 5 engines I took the pans off in the shop two of them were cracked. Both of them had a pilot bearing in the rear of the crank, because they had a manual tranny behind them. And on the two cracked blocks, one 6.2 one 6.5 ALL of the mains were cracked, the 6.2 was about to grenade as the mains were cracked bad enough to see a shift.

Ronniejoe, I know it's too late for the pole, what do you think about the manual/auto tranny in contributing to main web cracks?

Yeah GM should pay, I contacted GM via email and complained about the "short life" of these 6.5 ers, I mean 108k for me on a 95, and it's a piece. I got a responce, they're actually considering a replacement, I think they should still be held accountable.

[ 05-29-2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

Billman
05-30-2005, 04:24
Yea RJ, Very Frustrating. I was hoping to Girdle it & be done with it. I've put 20k on it in 4 years. Never abused.

'Prone to Crack' is an Understatement.

Re-flashed was in place for less than 1 year.

I am leaning towards Splayed Mains now. Drag Race World it is Very Common. Girdle seems like a Band-Aid but was only option at the time.

I'm curious myself how long it's been this way. Will Girdle Stop it from Spreading? I'll keep ya posted.

Upside - 18 to 1.

My situation is a little different than yours Kent. IIRC you needed your truck up & running Quickly. My truck is a 3rd vehicle and I can still drive it. Afraid to tow with it, but the Chevelle is on the Chassis Jig and will be there for some time.

Collect Block & Pistons at my leisure, Machine as necessary.

I respect a lot of opinions here. As always, any input is appreciated.

rameye
05-30-2005, 04:31
billman,

Sorry to hear that....I'm not even going to look at mine until it grenades! I'm afraid of what I'll find if I drop the pan.

I'm already shopping for a new block as a pre-emptive measure. My brother in law works for Frito-Lay. Someone stated they religiously change blocks every 1.5 years whether they need it or not.

More research..i'm keeping this olde girl, after that IP replacement we've got history.

tom.mcinerney
06-01-2005, 04:03
Regrets, Billman.
Your courage to inspect is admirable. I'm driving like an old lady until such time as i procure another block or install splayed mains.

Jack Merkel was about to work on a 6.5 block in his shop when i inquired about remoting oil filters a couple years ago....

Billman
06-01-2005, 07:36
Thanks Tom.

'Peace of Mind' was all I was after. I do drive it with respect and maintenance is second to none. Neither of those two has anything to do with the junk they used to construct the block.

I received the Girdle yesterday and to be honest, it does look like a nice piece. I would have been satisfied with it in place without cracks.

No matter how long they have been there, I just can't conciuosly tow anything with it.

I have made a few phone calls inquiring about blocks already. Not the easiest to find.

Merkel does ALL my machine work. Scott is a personal friend.

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 15:35
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
The poll data is showing that modifications are not playing a major role here. These engines are prone to crack in stock trim. GM should be made to pay for these. It is terribly frustrating.

Didn't GM have a 100K warranty on engine block following all the problems with 97+ oil sprays, I need to know; if not I'll not mess with dropping my pan I'm only 250 miles from 100K on mine and have stopped driving it until I drop the pan for inspection.

Also on K1500 what is best way to drop pan only.

rjschoolcraft
06-05-2005, 15:40
My 95 had a 100,000 mile warranty, pre-oil spray.

I doubt that you can get the pan off without dropping the front differential. I couldn't on my 2500.

JoeyD
06-05-2005, 16:14
Engine warranty was 5 years or 100,000 miles what ever comes first. Your 98 is over that on years.

chickenhunterbob
06-05-2005, 17:38
GM has had a:

"60/100000 GM DIESEL ENGINE IN LIGHT DUTY VEHICLE WITH $100 DEDUCT AFTER BUMPER TO BUMPER ($ 100 DEDUCTIBLE)"

warrenty since at least 1994, this in on my VIN check.

Your miles are short, but time's up, guess you maybe drive too slow?

Drive it until it drops, yer warrenty run out a couple of years ago.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 18:05
As always day late and dollar short this case many dollars I'm afraid :( , I guess then I'll still give her a go and continue to source parts for my 18:1 build which I'm afraid is a matter of when over if she blows.

My 90 gasser 4.3L C1500 GMC is daily driver 200K original miles on that one, still going like an energizer bunny, that is why miles to years on 6.5 is out of whack.

Chuck1
06-09-2005, 20:38
I,m just wondering what are the symptoms.Of ether a cracked block or a cracked piston