PDA

View Full Version : ? for Phil Holmen or anyone else w/ lift kit

piersbc
02-23-2004, 11:53
I see in your details that you have a 2.5" lift. I've been trying to find a company that sells one for a diesel truck. Is yours designed for a diesel or do gasser ones work too. The places I've called said theirs doesn't work for diesels. I don't want a body lift either. Did you crank your torsion bars also? Any and all info would be appreciated.

S\W Off Road
02-23-2004, 14:02
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL244/1813970/3494899/42918596.jpg
You should be able to install anyone that will fit a gasser. I installed a Tough Country on this 1994. I have installed Superlift and Rancho and they also will fit diesel models. I can not think of any reason why they would not as it is the same setup. A body lift will not work with out major Mickey Mouseing but I wouldn't own a body lift even if it was given to me.

C.K. Piquup
02-24-2004, 04:12
I`ve seen alot of nice 4wds,but once I notice it has a body lift,I stop looking.Also,on diesels they adversly effect the efficiency of the radiator/fan/shroud.Not a good move.Gas and diesel trucks use the same suspension.That`s why you won`t find a listing for diesel.I think Tuff Country is the only one that makes a 4"lift for 8 luggers(am I right?).That`s what I`m looking at to run with my 285/75s on 8"Weld Wheels to get more clearance.

S\W Off Road
02-24-2004, 10:11
Tough Country is a 6", Rancho is a 4" their model # for the 8 lug is 6469. Both kits work well. The Rancho is over built, not that that is a bad thing. I switched from a Rancho to the Tough Country for the 2" taller lift then Rancho. If Rancho would have had a 6" lift for the 1994 8 lug I would much rather have it, but they don't.

piersbc
02-26-2004, 06:06
I'm thinking I just want 2.5" lift...putting on 285/75/16 tires. I see Skyjacker has what they call a 2.5" leveling kit...maybe that with a torsion bar cranking will be enough. Anyone have a 2.5" kit?

Phil Holmen
02-26-2004, 06:36
I have 2.5" suspension blocks in the rear and have turned my bars up to level the truck. The ride is definately rougher, but not that bad. On really rough terain my 285's will still rub a little but not bad. It also depends on the tread style you have. Wide square shouldered tires are obviously worse.

G. Gearloose
02-26-2004, 06:41
I know the 2500's are different, but I fit 285 Cooper AT's on 8" AR23 rims on my 1500, with just torsion bar adjustments. There is still plenty of downward traval available and alignment is right on. The rear has an additional 40" leaf and 1.5" '00 factory blocks. It has the stance of a 2500 now and a nice rake.

Looking at it you say "no way, it must rub" but it doesn't, nowhere in the stroke and any wheel position, 3/4" to spare everywhere.

So what I'm saying is, if you find the right offset/wheel combination, You MAY not need a full lift kit, but the 2500 could be a different animal.

Andy Chesek
02-26-2004, 07:04
My truck sits too low for my taste, so I want to lift it as well. I think I'm gonna go SFA. Located a Dana 60 reverse cut high pinion front axle from a '79 F-350 4x4 about an hour away. I figure if I do it and then sell the IFS components, the swap would be a wash compared to doing an IFS lift. And it would give my truck something unique compared to other more modern GM pickups.

C.K. Piquup
02-26-2004, 16:00
I think the 2.5"lift is for 6-luggers.It`s $400+ and either consists of heavier torsion bars and/or A-arms,can`t recall.Basically it lifts a 1/2t to sit like a true 3/4 or 1t(8-lugger).I`ve wished they`d make a 2-2.5"for years.But they don`t,so I plan a 4".Also for Burrito-93,I think you`re under estimating the cost of a solid axle swap.Are you planning to fab your own custom brackets or buy the kit(ORU}?Where leafs/shackles included w/axle?The front driveshaft needs modifying.Don`t forget cross-over steering linkage or whatever other method you were planning.I figure it can`t be done for less than an IFS lift.I would like to do the solid-axle swap some day.But only if I want to go to 35"tires.

JoeyD
02-26-2004, 17:48
The 2.5 inch kit drops the diff down a couple inches and gives you a new upper controll arms to keep alignment in check. It's better than cranking the bars alone but you still have to crank the bars.

GMCfourX4
03-05-2004, 13:49
RCD Suspension recently relased a 6" lift for the 88-98 trucks. The nice thing about their kits is that they use a spindle to lift, so the upper control arms and steering components stay right where they are, with no changes to any of the angles. Pics of Similar Lift for Newer Trucks (http://www.rcdsuspension.com/products/suspensions/chevy/chevy4wd86/chevy4wd86full.htm)
They are pricey, but I think this is a much better way to lift our trucks (at least from the standpoint of being able to put it back to stock.)

-Chris

C.K. Piquup
03-07-2004, 06:16
Is the RCD available for HD trucks or just the 6-luggers?