PDA

View Full Version : tranny cooler

Chuck1
05-29-2005, 17:29
I have a 1994TD with a 4L80E auto .I tow a lot and was thinking of adding 1 more tranny cooler under the cab .Would this reduce the flow of the fluid to much by going through another cooler

opto
06-02-2005, 13:41
No it will not be a problem as long as you don't go with to small lines. Also consider a deep pan and an external filter to increase oil volume even more.

tanker
06-02-2005, 17:10
Hi Chuck, I went with a 12-volt fan powered trans cooler from "BD". It included eveything, ie; wire ties, fittings, hose, thermostat, a complete kit. It dropped towing temps about 70 degrees. I mounted mine under the floor of my 95 suburban, worked great for many years. Sold the burb with 160,000 miles, many towing miles and never a problem. Any additional cooler will help keep temps lower. I plumbed mine prior to the radiator tank cooler, which helped keep coolant temps lower, but helped in winter by keeping the fluid warm enough for proper shifting. ;)

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 14:30
I have similar set up to Tankers old rig 25K rated Deraile fan cooled aux cooler under the bed got it from Summit on sale, easy install thermostat was extra, cuts in fan at 170F, hauling up to 18K loaded GN trailer on 100F day i have never see over 200F on trans pan temp which is where my sensor is, need to know that for comparing results, others mount their sensors in the return line, which is where my cooler fan control thermostat is.

jspringator
06-05-2005, 15:06
I likewise followed Tanker and HowieE's lead and installed the biggest cooler with 12 volt fan that Summit had. Installed it UNDER the Sub. After backing the boat into the storage building when I was disconnecting the boat, I heard the fan go on for the first time. I guess it works! I am looking at it as an idiot proof guage.