PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Stereo/CD

VA_GMC
10-18-2004, 15:47
I've been wanting to put a CD player in my truck - nothing special, just a basic stereo/CD player. Anyone found one with a mounting kit that works well in the factory location in the $100-$150 range?

Thanks.

gmenor
10-18-2004, 16:37
I opted for a 12 CD changer mounted under the passenger seat. But Crutchfield web site will help you out with wiring diagrams and radio/CD changer. Sorry couldn't copy the link but here is the web site.

http://www.crutchfield.com/?

whatnot
10-18-2004, 20:31
Why not just get a factory unit? It would plug right in.
If you already have the right radio, you can get a remote one or replace the radio with one out of a newer truck.

Dihrdbowti
10-18-2004, 21:02
I made a deal with my neighbor. He was selling his 97 Siverado but only had the AM/FM but he had the pocket (where the CD goes). I traded him my CD player for the pocket and bought an XM ready Sony from Crutchfield. I then bought the XM receiver to go with it. Crutchfield usually adds for free the mounting kit in plcae of the stock radio (but no replacement pocket for the lower CD) and the wiring pigtail as well as step by step directions for removal and installation.

DennisG01
10-19-2004, 06:02
Crutchfield is a well-known, reliable company to deal with. I've bought a number of things through them and they are very helpful after the sale, as well. They will have a stereo that will either fit right in, or they will supply an adapter/face plate. CD players are pretty cheap now-a-days.

Perry
10-19-2004, 06:58
It may be a little more than you want to spend ($250 at crutchfield.com), but Pioneer sells a oversized unit that fits exactly into the GM dash without the need for an adapter cover plate. Makes the installtion look OEM. Sounds good too.

TJ
10-19-2004, 14:58
Crutchfield's prices are outrageous! Personally, I'm an Alpine man. Try searching for an "Alpine CDA-9825" or a "CDM-9823" off of Ebay and go with a person with lots of good feedback. I like www.sonicelectronix.com (http://www.sonicelectronix.com) These particular models are in your price range and are great units.

FARMERBOB
10-19-2004, 17:28
a couple of points of reference: 1) those pockets are approx. $7 from GM. 2) even with the GM fit Pioneer radios there are brackets you have to mount to the radio so it locks into the dash.

moedog
10-19-2004, 18:26
IVE USED CRUTCHFIELD MANY TIMES AND WHILE THEY MAY BE A LIITLE MORE THAN THE THE VERY LOWEST PRICE, THEY ARE WONDERFUL WITH SUPPORT AND REAL KNOWLEDGE. JBL SPEAKERS AND PIONEER STEREOS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MY CHOICE WITH NO COMPLAINTS BUT THE THEIVES REMOVING THEM WHEN PARKED