PDA

View Full Version : Burb fuel tank on a pick up

JoeyD
10-24-2005, 16:12
Like it states I want to install a suburban 40 gallon tank in the spare tire location on my truck, removing the factory tank at the same time. Does anyone know if my sender and evrything will work on the new tank or do i need one for a diesel burb and will it work with my fuel guage with no issues?

GMCfourX4
10-31-2005, 14:39
Joey;
I have a Suburban tank that I'm intending to hook up in addition to my 26-gal factory tank. Aside from time, my biggest hurdle at the moment is that my trailer hitch is shaped odd-ly, and won't allow the tank to fit. Its rusted anyway, so I'm going to take it off, and get a "normal" Draw-Tite, Reese, or some other brand of hitch that doesn't occupy that space. To fill the tank I think I'm going to get one of those dump-body style fillers from JC Madigan or someone like that and just hide it in the wheelwell. The tank is going to be hooked up like the factory dual-tank setup for our trucks, which has a "Balance Pump Module" which averages the floats from both tanks so the dash reads total fuel capacity, then turns on a "balance pump" which just moves fuel from the rear tank to the front one periodically so that it basically empties both tanks at the same time. (hopefully I'm explaining this in a way that makes sense). I have the module, harness, relay, pump, tank, and drop-in unit, all I have to do is mount it and hook it all up (and find a filler-setup that works). I'm in the middle of about 15 other projects on the truck at the moment (rear-main seal, oil pan, timing chain, water pump, PS pump, control-arm bushings, clutch, and probably something else I can't think of) but you're welcomed to take a look at it during the process, or after its done. I'll try to take some pictures of that part of the project when I get there, b/c I know some of the OTR types might find it interesting also.

-Chris

JoeyD
10-31-2005, 16:19
Chris, I am going to ditch the factory tank and only use the rear burb one. I don't need the both of them but the 40 gallons will be better than the 26 for trips and plowing.
I will take you up on the offer to see what your doing, not sure when but I would like to see the motor apart.

GMCfourX4
11-01-2005, 08:01
JoeyD;
Send me an email, and I'll try to give you a better idea of when I'll be working on various parts of the truck. I'm in the middle of a 170,000mi tune-up... :D

You can reach me at GMC4by at yahoo dot com

-Chris

roclongrider
11-03-2005, 09:12
Hi Chris,
I think there will be several that would be interested in your fuel tank project. A Parts List and numbers would be helpful too.
TIA, Barry.

GMCfourX4
11-03-2005, 18:41
Barry;
I will try to get a full part # list together before I put everything in. I got all factory parts. I looked at putting in a fuel tank switch, but they all looked cheesy, and then you need to figure out a way to read the fuel level in each tank, or have the gauge show only 1 of your tanks. I knew this setup existed, but it took a lot of research (along with a lot of help from my neighbor/fellow TDP member CharlieP) to get all of the part #s. I have the WeatherPak connectors too. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the filler neck, b/c I don't want to take my truck to a body shop to have them weld a 'Burb filler door into my bed.

-Chris

snoman87
11-04-2005, 07:11
I'd be very interested in hearing more about your tank switcher setup. I am putting a 3rd (K5 Jimmy) tank into the back of my 86' 1Ton and your idea might help me out.

roclongrider
11-04-2005, 07:50
Thanks Chris!!
As far as fuel doors go Westin and Putco make some decent looking billet doors but they certainly don't look factory. It will be interesting to see what you find. I hesitate to do anything to our truck that alters the factory look of the body.
Though it would be a quite a job, I'd consider altering the tail light to swing out to access a filler neck, kinda like the fuel door in the '57 Chevy. Hmmm, may have to look into that this evening!!
Barry.

GMCfourX4
11-04-2005, 17:01
Barry;
CharlieP said the same thing (flip the taillight) to me one day when I was throwing ideas around. I wouldn't mind, if it was reasonable to do. The most functional and best looking setup would probably be to cut the filler door section out of a wrecked 'Burb or Tahoe and have that welded in, but... My preferred setup would have been the TransferFlow??? dual-filler in 1 door setup, but that would leave a VERY long almost flat filler tube into the 42 gal tank, which would not be a happy situation.
I did a little digging around, and I have a few part #s. I think I need a few more things, but here's what we have so far:

Balance Pump Module (averages fuel level signal from 2 tanks, and sends average fuel cap. to gauge. Also turns on transfer pump from rear tank to move fuel into front tank as front tank level drops)
Part# 15061011 - $97.67

http://www.cfdatasystems.com/images/Chris/BPModule.jpg

Balance Pump Module Connector
Part# 12102746 - $45.82

http://www.cfdatasystems.com/images/Chris/BPConnector.jpg

Balance Pump Relay and Connector

Part#s Relay - 12193601 - (not sure on price)
Connector - 15306045 - $24.34

http://www.cfdatasystems.com/images/Chris/BPRelay-Connector.jpg

There are a few more things I have to iron out, but that's the beginning. I also have a 'Burb tank (GM43B is the aftermarket part #) which I THINK I paid $145.00 for a couple years ago. The Sending unit for that tank I got from www.RockAuto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) I got the Delco part, but they have an aftermarket one now for $102.89 I also have a spare lift pump (same as the one on the framerail) that I'm going to use as my "transfer pump". I bought the truck-side weatherpack connector for the fuel pump a long time ago, and I don't think I still have a part # or price for it. I have to go back and look at the wiring diagrams again before I hook everything up, but my biggest problem at the moment is removing the hitch that is keeping me from having room to put the tank in there (I removed my spare tire and associated hardware a long time ago, and just left the pieces that were part of the frame).

-Chris

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2005, 11:00
The fuel gage level sensor(in tank)is a variable resistance that the gage converts to level indication. If the two senders have same resistance at 'full' and 'empty' positions , they should be electrically interchangeable. Don't know if harness reaches or has same plug.
Give new tanks good coat paint , maintain good groung connection....good luck.

BigRoryG
11-28-2005, 16:00
Hi,

So i realise this is backwards, but I am planning on putting the 26 gallon auxilliary tank on my Suburban.

I have a tank selector valve... what do I need other than a sending unit, gauge and some fuel line? If I order the tank, will it come with some sort of harness to fit it to the chassis?

thanks.