PDA

View Full Version : engine oil cooler lines

Phil Holmen
05-29-2005, 23:05
Does anyone know offhand which is the pressure and which is the return line on the block end??

charliepeterson
05-30-2005, 18:00
If one is leaking than replace both. The two lines are different lengths slightly so you can't mix them up. As for pressure side I would guess off the top of my head the one not closest to the oil filter?

Phil Holmen
05-30-2005, 18:34
i am replacing both as well as the factory oil cooler, but need to know the direction of flow as my new cooler has a check valve. I am relocating due to space limitations for my intercooler..

GMC Hauler
05-30-2005, 18:50
Phil, out of curiosity, which oil cooler did you get and where?

Do all the aux coolers go in front of an intercooler if it was grille mounted?

I have a replacement cooler, and am doing the oil cooler lines as soon as my o-rings arrive. Just wondering if I should have the local shop add a few inches to the line for future intercooler installation.

eracers999
05-31-2005, 04:09
Just spin it over a 1/2 a turn you will get oil out of the correct hole. 4 mos ago when i tried to prime my new motor i could have told you for shure, now, cant remember.

Kent

MJEasly
05-31-2005, 06:20
GMCH,

What length of oil lines did you end up going with?

Thanks.

GMC Hauler
05-31-2005, 10:24
I don't have them made up yet, but should have them done within the next two weeks. I am having a local hydraulic shop do the job.

MJEasly
06-01-2005, 06:12
I am about to do the same project and have made a few measurements for line length. It would be interesting to see what lengths others have used.

opto
06-02-2005, 02:24
Think I did mine 1,20 meters, with straight 3-8" NPT on engine side and 90 degree angeled swiveling on cooler side. When installing I first mounted elbows on the engine block then the straight side of the hose in the elbow. Found very nice short elbows that didn't need grinding or loosening of exaust manifol lig the DSG-kit.
Bought a 21x11x1,5" cooler from permacool. My intension is to put this coller after the OEM but some connecting problems has caused a delay. There is also minor problem of place available. Also I put the intercooler first, then all oilcoolers (two for engine, one for servo, one for transmission + radiator tank cooler) then the condenser and last the radiator.

The installation is quite satisfactory, but if you don't want to mess with the OEM grill and bumper it probably won't be possible to do it this way.