PDA

View Full Version : SSDiesel Supply "Instant-Heat" Glow Plug

Eddys
10-25-2005, 04:57
Has anybody tried these "Instant- Heat" glow plugs?

Kennedy
10-25-2005, 06:19
I think that you will find that a certain DP advertiser/supporter/contributor has the plugs that you are looking for along with a much broader line of parts and working knowledge to support the 6.5 ;)

Marty Lau
10-25-2005, 06:45
Originally posted by kennedy:
I think that you will find that a certain DP advertiser/supporter/contributor has the plugs that you are looking for along with a much broader line of parts and working knowledge to support the 6.5 ;) I think John is trying to say is HEY I carry those which he does and I have used them and like them. (2 yrs) I found that with most of the "new generation" glow plugs it helps to have bit longer glow time, which can be done in few different ways. So why not give John a call and order them from him.

ejk2352
10-25-2005, 07:23
Originally posted by Eddys:
Has anybody tried these "Instant- Heat" glow plugs? I have a set in my truck. They seem to work fine. Walt offers a 2 year warranty on the glow plugs.

DennisG01
10-25-2005, 10:51
I have them, too. For about a year now.

Eddys
10-26-2005, 05:10
Thanks for the info guys. I just need the courage to get started. I'm afraid of breaking the glow plugs while I'm taking them out.

DieselDavy
10-26-2005, 05:17
Eddys,
I've changed many glow plugs over the years and I think you'll find its as easy as changing spark plugs! It's possible you could have some swollen ones in there but I'm sure you can do it! John's quick heat plugs are great. I've put them in both my diesels. I've got better than 3 yrs out of the first set and have not had to touch them! Previous poster was right, they could use some longer glow times when cold. That wasn't a problem for me since I had already installed momentary switches in the circuits for extreme cold anyway. Give John a call!
Dave

moondoggie
10-26-2005, 07:11
Good Day!

They'd have to be a LOT cheaper than JK's before I'd consider bypassing this top-quality vendor, but to each his own. ;)

Blessings! :D

sturgeon-phish
10-26-2005, 11:47
How do you get to the tough ones around the turbo?

rjschoolcraft
10-26-2005, 12:41
Through the fender well...

Marty Lau
10-27-2005, 07:57
Originally posted by ejk2352:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Eddys:
Has anybody tried these "Instant- Heat" glow plugs? I have a set in my truck. They seem to work fine. Walt offers a 2 year warranty on the glow plugs. </font>[/QUOTE]So does John!!!
Copied from JK site.
"New 4 in 1 design fits all civilian (12 volt) GM 4.3, 5.7, 6.2, and 6.5 diesels with flat blade terminals. Heats fast like the 9g, but will not swell or burnout. Comes with a 2 yr warranty."

I think Walt is a good guy and I got his Glow Plug override which works great, but I don't see Walt here helping us out.

Kennedy
10-27-2005, 08:32
Thanks Marty! I may not presently own a 6.5, but I've been doing this for quite a bit now and feel that I have a better working knowledge than the competition.

I did want to add one thing. For warranty on these plugs, I have seen VERY few instances of failure. When I do see failure, it is 99% with mechanical trucks and the tips appear to be pitted. In these cases, I will warranty them once. The issue at hand seems to be injection timing. It may be from too much base timing, or a sticky advance piston. The point is, they are seeing EXTREME heat in the precup if they pit which naturally is not a good situation. Those who have replaced plugs in an electronic truck will have seen a plug that looks nice and smooth

JoeyD
10-28-2005, 11:38
I think Walt is a good guy and I got his Glow Plug override which works great, but I don't see Walt here helping us out. I also don't see him here saying buy from me vs the guy that was asked about.

Kennedy
10-28-2005, 12:00
Originally posted by Joey D:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
I think Walt is a good guy and I got his Glow Plug override which works great, but I don't see Walt here helping us out. I also don't see him here saying buy from me vs the guy that was asked about. </font>[/QUOTE]Guess I should shut up then???

JoeyD
10-28-2005, 13:03
I see nothing wrong with offering advise or anything but if someone was to go on here and say they had better knowledge and a broader product line than you what would you say?

I think most buy from you because you offer great product and advise and you say it like it is without bashing other vendors.

Kennedy
10-28-2005, 14:01
I see nothing wrong with offering advise or anything but if someone was to go on here and say they had better knowledge and a broader product line than you what would you say?I'd say prove it. That's just the kind of guy that I am.

I think most buy from you because you offer great product and advise and you say it like it is without bashing other vendors.Yes that isn't typically my style, but this case is a little different.

We had the self regulating fast glow plugs before the other shop was even around. Heck he even purchased a set from me. Coincidentally it was one of the first products that he offered.

Look at the FSD Heat Sync. It is an "Industry leader" in the 6.5 driver cooler market some 3 years? after the FSD cooler was released.

The "Special" fan clutch that he claims engages earlier would have to be proven to me. I would wager thet it is IDENTICAL to OEM in every way. I made a SERIOUS investment in a product that has been proven to work...

Rant mode off.

JoeyD
10-28-2005, 14:12
There is a hidden history here then, I see why you said what you said. Carry on

rjschoolcraft
10-28-2005, 15:09
The real problem that I see is this: it is very easy to make claims (80 hp from a chip, for instance). Folks seem to accept stuff like that at face value. That makes it very hard for an honest vendor to sell products. Especially when the one making bogus claims doesn't have to pay for the development...

C.K. Piquup
10-30-2005, 05:21
If you look at JK`s original reply you`ll notice he used an indirect modest hint.Not exactly harpin`a sale.The fact is,he gives free advise right here.He also $upport$ the very board you are benefitting from.He has developed many upgrades for these trucks and used to run his own all over God`s creation for some "real-life" R&D.If we had a game show with him and other experts we could,maybe,prove without a doubt who knows the most.I`d say he has the right to be so confident,since he has proven himself many times over.Thanks for the help,John.

BTW,do what you want,it`s your truck.Just food for thought.

flintspear
10-30-2005, 07:20
Take it easy guys. This ain't world peace. To change the subject slightly, anybody know how a harmonic balancer goes bad with no apparent damage, etc. Dealer replaced mine when he did my ac compressor. About 250 bucks. I didn't see anything wrong with the old one, but I am pretty ignorant about diesels in general and HB's in particular. Looks like a pretty vanilla part to me.

BTW, SSD has new 6.5 heads for under 400 bucks. Anybody had experience with this product? Supposedly a custom casting. I might need one pretty soon.

Flintspear
98 cc K3500. KE filter. Bone stock from there.

rjschoolcraft
10-30-2005, 08:36
A custom cast 6.5 head for under $400? No way! Maybe Chinese cast...

Let's stay on topic with this thread. This is about glow plugs and certain claims. Start a new thread for the mythical custom cylinder heads.

Thanks.

JoeyD
10-30-2005, 14:05
For some reason I thought SS diesel was a supporting Vendor and thats why I questioned the replys. It seems they are not.

flintspear
10-31-2005, 05:08
RJ: the heads aren't mythical. Go to SS Diesel site and take a look. Sorry for changing the subject. Hey, look at that grizzly bear chasing that guy!

I love my truck.

98 cc K3500. KE filter, bone stock from there.

Marty Lau
10-31-2005, 09:00
For some reason I thought SS diesel was a supporting Vendor and thats why I questioned the replys. It seems they are not. JoeyD;
Nope and I don't think he supports any of the BB's out there he has made his mark through FleaBay.

rjschoolcraft
10-31-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by flintspear:
RJ: the heads aren't mythical. Go to SS Diesel site and take a look. Sorry for changing the subject. Hey, look at that grizzly bear chasing that guy!

I love my truck.

98 cc K3500. KE filter, bone stock from there. The "mythical" comment has to do with the "custom cast" description. I know they're there and I suspect that I know where they came from. The price is too low for them to be "custom" (simple industrial economics) as stated. Buyer beware!

More Power
10-31-2005, 14:49
While in SLC last month, Matt Koning from Peninsular Diesel (http://www.peninsularengine.com) told me that they sell brand new genuine AMG (International Casting Corp) 6.5 cylinder heads for $500 each, complete with valves & springs.

These.... are the real deal... Newest design, newest alloy.

Jim

flintspear
10-31-2005, 16:19
If it sounds to good to be true, it almost always is! Custom casting was probably a misnomer. I should have said - what - special casting (for the dealer). Anyway, thanks for the input on the peninsular heads.

Don't fergit to check yer cinch!

98 cc k3500. KE filter, bones stock from there.

FL_CHEVY
11-01-2005, 16:50
flint spear, try cylinder-heads [dot]com. I got new casting complete, for a great price (I wont say how much on here for fear of backlash :D ) I was very happy with them, and there service (of course there only an hour drive away for me) But I would definately buy from them again. hope that helps you out

Kennedy
11-01-2005, 20:36
Diesel Depot/Cowracer learned the hard way. Cheap China junk is best left alone. Sad part is there is more and more of it coming around every day...

Eddys
11-08-2005, 10:11
I managed to unscrew a couple of the glow plugs on the driver side and they came off ok. They had #11 on them. I noticed also some members are running the #60G glow plugs. What's the difference compared to the #11?

JohnC
11-08-2005, 10:40
#60G glow plugs. What's the difference compared to the #11? In the beginning was the #9. Apparently they couldn't survive a cycle longer thn 8-10 seconds. The failure mode was swelling uup and becoming near impossible to remove. Doesn't explain how I got 140K miles on a set, but...

Then came the #11's. Didn't burn out and swell up, but simply quit working.

These were folloewd by the 60's. Didn't burn out or fail, just wouldn't get hot enough in a normal cycle to light the engine cleanly.

Eddys
11-08-2005, 11:34
Therefore I should replace them with after market ones. Maybe from JK.

TurboDiverArt
11-09-2005, 12:26
Therefore I should replace them with after market ones. Maybe from JK. Sounds like that is the answer. Let

Eddys
11-10-2005, 05:29
Thanks for the advice on the glow plugs guys and I will purchase it from JK. ART your right on saving a few dollars ....sometimes it is not worth it. Hey Art I noticed you got a GN. I got one too Bone stock with 15K miles never seen snow or rain.