PDA

View Full Version : 32 ft. motor home with 6.5 turbo 40,000 mi

FENCE MAN
06-15-2005, 06:57
Never had this unit in the Mountains -- flat land here in the midwest

Will be pulling a mini-van on a dolly -- I'm wondering about enough power to go over the mountains

Someone suggested that I get a gauge installed to monitor boost or temp. or something -- Not sure what I need or where to purchase

any ideas???

Bill

cruzer
06-15-2005, 07:04
Most important is exhuast gas temp(EGT) gauge
also called a pyrometer gauge. This temp needs to be monitored and not exceeded. If temps are too high then bad things can happen. 1250* pre turbo or approx 1000-1050* post turbo is ussaully the rule of thumb.
Other gauges:
Boost
Trans temp
Oil pres
water temp
Vendors on this site are very helpful or maybe
places like Summit racing or Jegs my have also.

I'd debug the rad and the oil coolers. You can do a "search" on alot of this.

As for the power issues, there other members on this page who have motor homes powered by 6.5's who know better than I. You can always have someone drive the other vehicle past problem spots.

Ken

[ 06-15-2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]

markrinker
06-15-2005, 08:06
What year is your motorhome? Depending on what type of intake, exhaust, and cooling systems you received from the factory - its hard to know where best to start.

In any case, if it were my motorhome, I'd approach the mods in this order of priority to ensure trouble-free mountain driving/towing.

(Thought: Adding a pyrometer and/or boost gauge will give you more information. Doing some/all of the mods below in conjunction with what you already have in place will give you MORE POWER...)

1) KEEP IT COOL. Service the cooling system, removing all bugs and obstructions to airflow over the radiator, A/C condensor, etc. High flow thermostats, water pumps, and fan clutches make a huge difference over some factory peices. This topic is covered in depth elsewhere on the DP.

2) LET IT 'BREATHE'. Service air intake system, investigating any opportunity to increase air flow, including aftermarket filters/air tube systems that use washable high-flow elements, like K&N. If your system is using an OEM type flat retangular paper filter enclosed in an ABS plastic box - your motor is starving for more air. This topic is covered in depth elsewhere on the DP.

3) LET IT 'EXHALE'- AND MONITOR THIS TEMP!. Most motorhomes I have seen have massive 3" or 4" exhaust systems already in place. What diameter tube does yours have? Also examine the downtube from the turbocharger - hopefully you have a better peice than GM uses stock in their light duty trucks! If its has tight bends or flat spots to clear obstructions, (like the firewall...) you might be able to have a local shop mandrel bend a better peice to increase flow. You can also have the pyrometer sender bung drilled and welded in at that time. Tiny, restrictive catalytic converters and/or mufflers the size of vaccuum cleaners can be replaced with freer-flowing units, or permanent 'test-pipes' smile.gif These topics are covered in depth elsewhere on the DP.

4) GIVE'r MORE FUEL AND BOOST. Various vendors here at the DP can hook you up with the proper chip or re-flashed ECM to wake up your motor now that its breathing more freely, and staying cool at the same time. More fuel burning in conjuction with more boost - while maintaining acceptable EGTs and water temperatures are the key.

Good luck and have fun!

[ 06-15-2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

FENCE MAN
06-15-2005, 18:15
It is a 1996 model with a P30 chassis and auto trans

It runs good -- never a problem so far, hate the idea of tearing it down to make some of the suggested mods. I did have all the belts and hoses replaced in the last 6 months, rad. flushed, etc. -- it still has the stock air filter

Bill

markrinker
06-16-2005, 04:17
You might investigate replacing the stock paper filter with a freer flowing oiled cloth type. Even that will help.

Getting bugs and debris out of the radiators is as important as the fluid flush. You probably have a nice large radiator, since there is plenty of room up front on a motorhome.

Good luck!

cruzer
06-16-2005, 07:43
Gauges!!!

3 or 4 yrs ago I went to CO. My truck was stk except for a banks exhaust,K&N filter and old style cooling. I flushed the system and new belts and hoses but never de-bugged the rad. I was pulling approx 8500lbs.(slide in and car trailer). It got hot a couple of times while out there. Approx 6 month later it cracked a piston. I never had a problem w/heat in the midwest.

If you do "search" you will find heat kills, EGT's especially and water. Ronniejoe has some posts on this subject too and goes out west often. He has good info on this subject.

There is a poll and posts on the top of this 6.5 forum talking about engine failures.

Your 96 probably has 1 T stat(old style cooling).DE-bug w/special attn between rad, AC condenser and oil coolers. Get the gauges and drive by them. This is not to scare but to make you aware.

Happy motoring, Ken

[ 06-16-2005, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]