PDA

View Full Version : ECM Re-Program (1996+) Question

DennisG01
05-31-2005, 10:24
OK, here's the thing. I'm going to purchase a new ECM very soon, but I can't decide whose to buy. I have narrowed it down to Kennedy or Heath. I have talked to both - and both raise valid points. I have also searched around on this forum and found good information. However, I was hoping to get all of this information in one place. If you have experience with one of these (or both) would you mind taking a minute and responding with your opinion as to which one you like and why? (it might be good to have all of this info in one place for others to learn from in the future) :cool:

markrinker
05-31-2005, 10:48
I can't objectively comment on the 'Heath vs. Kennedy vs. _____' question, but will offer you my spare 1998 ECM that any of the above vendors will reflash, or accept as a 'core'. It came with the used 1998 motor and trans I bought a year ago, I had no need for the 1998 ECM since my trucks are both 1994s.

This way you can keep your stock ECM to return the truck to stock, and re-sell your upgraded ECM later should you decide to sell the truck. Also, trips to the dealership can be done with the 'stock' box in place smile.gif

$70 + shipping and its yours. My email address is mark_rinker@hotmail.com if interested.

[ 05-31-2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

GMC Hauler
05-31-2005, 10:54
I had this same dilemma a while ago; I couldn't decide on the Heath or JK's. The choice was eventually made for me. I did a review for the Heath chip, which can be seen here. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/rogerstory.htm)

I am very satisfied with the chip. It raises line pressure for the transmission for a firmer shift, adds more fuel and more boost. Both chips can add boost with the electrical system already in place, or a mechanical system can be used. Bill Heath prefers the mechanical boost control, and John Kennedy prefers the electronic. I believe Bill's stance on the mechanical is reliability, and John's stance is that the electronic has more precise boost control. I did make my own shift kit to increase transmission line pressure beyond what it came with the PCM. The PCM provided a modest incerase in shift firmness.

In my opinion, I think the programming is probably very similar. They both raise line pressure of the transmission, both add fuel and both increase boost. The injection pump is limited on how much fuel it can inject, so this puts a ceiling on things, which means they can only go so far. The timing curves may be the major difference.

I think that a chip purchased from either of these guys would satisfy you. I don't know what they are currently charging, but that might be the deciding factor.

[ 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

richard7
05-31-2005, 16:29
Mark,
If Dennis doesn't want your ECM, I would buy it.
My email is richard.lajoie@sympatico.ca, and it would be sent to NY 12919.

DennisG01
06-03-2005, 05:51
Sounds like GMC Hauler has summed it pretty well - thanks, bud! I liked your chart - very good, exact info.

I'm gonna pull the trigger in about week - any other thoughts/recommendations/things I should think about?

markrinker
06-04-2005, 04:09
I have been very satisfied with Heath's performance products on the '98 motor swapped into truck #2 - but its running the '94 ECM. So far its pulled ~35K miles and plowed snow all winter. Keeping my fingers crossed on the block - probably should have done the girdle when the motor went in...

Dennis, do you want the ECM? If not, I'm gonna throw it on Ebay next week, as my email box has filled up with "If Dennis doesn't want it, I do" emails.

[ 06-04-2005, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

DennisG01
06-05-2005, 08:18
Thanks, Mark. I did send you an e-mail about your ECM (I sent it from work, though - maybe "big brother" didn't let it go through!). Anyways, no I won't need it - or more specifically my wife said "What?!?! Another $70 for a computer you're not even going to use?" They never understand! ;)

Turbine Doc
06-05-2005, 14:01
I've been running the Heath reflash over a year myself it is worth the money IMO, if the BD version is still flashed by Z Ind isn't worth the money, when buying check who the programmer is; Z flash/program IMO is little improvement over stock F engine program I ran one and sent it back.

JK is selling a Wester's based flash now I've seen several posts here & elsewhere that it also is a good tune,from what I hear. I would be interested in someday seeing what deltas between the two are in a scientific test, same load towed vs same configuration truck or same truck on dyno with the 2 different PCMs.

JK how far from Marinette are you, we might be able to set that up this year, Rolls-Royce my new employer, is providing Rolls jet turbines to power a new USN ship being built there; I'll be doing some of the start up work.

markrinker
06-05-2005, 14:23
Here is the ECM on Ebay for those interested that sent emails to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7979145957