PDA

View Full Version : Pennisular Modified AMG Engine Glow Plugs

Journeydog
10-27-2005, 16:12
I've got an '03 Pennisular engine in my "barge". (See details in my signature below.) I've had a semi-hard starting problem pretty much since day one...lots of white smoke and chug, chug when it's cold. I'm living at 6000' which doesn't help anything. I also know that my 18:1 pistons don't help the situation either. Per Pennisular's suggestion, I've got an adjustable GP timer set for 15 sec. and when I have a lot of smoke, I manually give the GPs a second or two burst until the engine smooths out...usually within 30 sec or so.

When I bought the engine back in '03, I asked Matt about the glow plugs and he didn't seem to have a definitive answer about them. As you know, he buys the engines custom built from AMG with 18:1 pistons and adds turbo, etc. according to what the customer wants from that point. I'd guess, since he doesn't know what the GPs are, they come from AMG with them installed.

Lately, I can barely start the "barge", since it sits like most motorhomes for long periods without being driven much. Yesterday, it took more than 10 min. to get it past the chug, chug white cloud stage and running on its own. The batteries are low, so I'm recharging them. I know that weak batteries won't help the starting problem, but I can parallel the two house batteries (common procedure in motorhomes), for the extra kick. The house batteries are fully charged, but they didn't help much. It finally started, but reminded me of a gasser with the carb flooded.

So...long story...I pulled one of the glow plugs. Checked resistance (about 1.2 ohms) and read this info on the plug:

BERU GERMANY 244
0 100 271 106 10.5V

Not learning much there, but I've read in some of the literature that GPs are usually 6V types. Is it possible that since AMG builds engines for the MIL version Hummer, are they configured for 24 or 28V systems? Is that why the GPs are 10.5V? Is this why I've had hard starting problems? Do I have a clue about any of this?

Bottom line question - I'd like to replace the GPs with a known. Does anyone know if the JK quickies or the AC-60G plugs will fit the AMG block? Any other recommendations or thoughts or suggestions?

Smokey says thanks!

BobND
10-27-2005, 19:21
The 60G's are also rated at about 10.5 Volts, or so.

Supposedly, the 60G's will take constant operation for 8 hours, without "blowing".

Beru makes some of the world's best glow plugs, they are used as OEM in 7.3 PowerChokes, and will last longer in that application than most, if not all other replacements.

Unfortunately, though, the # 0 100 271 106 shows up in the Beru on-line catalog as an old-style "GV"-type glow plug, and it does not appear to be recommended for extended glow times.

It fits ALL 1982-2002 6.2 and 6.5 diesels, so that should answer your question in that the heads you have apparently accept standard glow plugs.

Here's the link to the Beru catalog: (It's in .pdf.)

http://www.adpdistributors.com/beru_glowplugs_application_na2004.pdf

More Power
10-29-2005, 09:51
The 18:1 compression ratio, colder temperatures and high altitude all conspire to produce more white smoke and rough running at startup.

If you have PTC (positive temperature coefficient) glow plugs, you can glow them longer than 15 seconds. AC-60G PTC plugs we've tested would glow for hours without burning out.

www.Peninsularengine.com (http://www.Peninsularengine.com) sells an intake air heater kit that should help, when you're on the road and don't have the ability to plug in the engine coolant heater.

Lastly, the engine coolant heater is the best solution to your problem - if you have access to electricity. A couple hours of heater time before that first cold start should end the white smoke and rough running.

Jim

Journeydog
11-03-2005, 09:56
Thanks for the advice and info guys. Yesterday, I installed a set of JK's quick heats and now this sucker starts like it wants to be first in line at the free money window. A 15 sec. glow time, a recharged battery, and it starts within just a few revs of the engine - with absolutely not a whisper of smoke and smooth as silk!

Since I had the new engine installed a couple years ago, I've been getting varying degrees of white smoke on startup, mainly when it's been sitting awhile and always proportional to the degree of coldness. It was getting very embarassing and the heavy chugging was probably not too good on engine life either. I checked the old plugs after replacing them and they all showed about 1.2 ohms resistance. Loose connections to the GPs could have been the problem all along, but the specs on the Beru plugs didn't look that good either. Nevertheless, the JK plugs fire it right up and I couldn't feel better about the way it starts now. BTW, the easiest plug to get to in my motorhome installation is #8. Go figure!

damork
11-08-2005, 18:55
I installed a set of 60G glow plugs at the same time I installed the last new set of injectors which was 140,000 miles ago. So far it still pops off right away, averages 18.5 mpg commuting and I got over 20 mpg on a recent trip.

A new relay at the same time was important at the time, but I've been vigilant at keeping battery power up and the injectors/fuel system have no doubt seen the benefits of Stanadyne Blue in every tank. Just hoping to make it through this winter before swapping out the glow plugs and injectors, and to see where the price of diesel is going.