PDA

View Full Version : Only when its cool and damp!!!!

HudB1
10-31-2005, 17:56
My 96 6.5 TD runs really good ( I know i shouldn't say that) but when its cool and damp the glow plugs and lift pump wont come on for the first start of the day. After that its just fine. However when I leave the key in the ON postion for a few minutes the glow plugs and lift pump come to life. Its like there is moisture on some connector. Had this about 2 yr ago, and cleaned all connectors under hood with contact cleaner and dielectric grease and problem went away, I guess i'll do it again but sure would like to find culpirt.

markrinker
11-01-2005, 05:47
WD-40 can be effective at locating the offending connection, as it dispells water quickly.

Hansh
11-02-2005, 15:52
I have had a similar problem. The last time I had to investgate it, seems the fusible link is bad. I plan to replace the battery cable(s). Has not done it since I wiggled the fuable link a couple weeks ago. Hate those on/off again electrical problems.

redbird2
11-03-2005, 04:50
you need to check the grounds on the frame and back of cylinder heads sound like you will find one rusted up there are several you will have to over the whole harness to make sure you get them all. good luck

HudB1
11-04-2005, 12:21
I appreciate the response'. I replaced all the grounds with larger ones plus added a 0 gauge between motor and chassis as well as 0 gauge between the motor grounds. Also replaced the batt cables a couple years ago with factory replacements. The problem didn't surface at all last season, I just put a new fuel pump relay yesterday. I'll go over and clean all grounds again in addition to separating all weather pack connections cleaning with contact cleaner and dielectric grease. In the meantime if someone else has another possible solution please post.
Thanks as Always
Hudb1