PDA

View Full Version : Other Engine than 6.5TD

Hansh
06-07-2005, 09:57
Has anyone installed another make engine to replace the 6.5TD. Will a 6.6 Duramax bolt in with minor mods to a mid 90s truck or what about a Cummins 6? Can a mechanical pump be used on the Duramax? Just wondering as I am weighing options to replace my 6.5, cracked block and piston. I want someting that will go longer than 110,000 miles. ????

john8662
06-07-2005, 10:48
Yes you can modify your truck to accomodate the two listed engines. It's not even near a "bolt-in" upgrade either way. There are some very detailed articles here on TDP about converting a truck to Dmax Power. But, it's all about how much do you like your truck and are you willing to put the $ on the table and the time for the project?

I personally would consider the Dmax conversion, but it's going to cost nearly double what a replacement 6.5 is going to run you.

I know what you're feeling though, short lived engine at 110k, at least you beat me, with 108k.

I recommend checking with some of the venders about building a reliable 6.5TD engine, the engine GM should have built from the beginning, but didn't.

More Power
06-09-2005, 13:19
I heard a few months ago from member John Culver who was experimenting with an MFI converted Duramax - using a DB2 (I think). Haven't heard lately how that's coming.

MP