PDA

View Full Version : Grounding problems

BBCB
11-01-2005, 03:49
I think i've got the grounding problems you all seem to speak of.

For the past few weeks, it's been limited to the vehicle stalling at inopportune times - hence I don't let the wife drive it (and I only have a 1mi commute, whereas her's is 20 mi).

This weekend the AC fan stopped working - after tearing into it, it's fine, the ground for it is not offering continuity.

Where specifically is/are the ground(s) everyone speaks of? Looking from the engine bay, there's not much room to see anything. Of course, the fan ground routes back behind the evaporator, so I have had little luck tracing it.

In advance, thanks

BBCB

Hubert
11-01-2005, 04:22
One culprit is the passenger side rear intake manifold. Near where a dipstick tube is on an automatic. There is a connection of several grounds and a factory braided line to the frame near the starter. Its easier to just clean all the wires and add a new bigger ground from the intake to the frame.

Back when I had a dying PMD I added an additional negative ground line to both batteries and cleaned up this connection.

twaddle
11-01-2005, 05:29
Hi BBCB,
As well as adding a HD cable to link the neg's on both batteries I added a heavier ground from the LHS battery to the fuse/relay area on the drivers side inner fender.

Also check as many multiplug connecters and clean them up and grease.

Don't know if your FSD/PMD is mounted on a cooler or still attached to the side of the injection pump but if you can get to it there are two diodes on the back of it that if the screw/nuts are retorqued may cure your stalling fault.
Good luck.

I see you are from the Houston area, my 96 Suburban came from your neck of the woods.

Regards

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland