PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Planning

Splitrimz
06-09-2005, 17:18
I was eyeballing under the hood to scope out an intercooler install. Here is what I am contemplating. The big intercoolers on Ebay, 31 x 12 x 3 also are availalbe in the same size with the inlet and outlet on the same side.
By eyeballing the Turbo and Snorkle I think that one could turn the turbo downward and that would make enough room to put a 45 degree connector on the input to snorkle. If that was possible I could run the hot pipe and cold pipe through the passenger side inner fender and hook to the one sided intercooler.
Advantages would be not having to cut the snorkle down and possibly better cooling because of less piping and bends.
Anyone have any thoughts on why this might not work? Seems as though the one sided cooler has same surface area as two sided.
Thanks Splitrimz, 94 6.5 Crew Cab DRW.

ace58
06-10-2005, 01:36
Any form of intercooling makes such a difference in performance, go for it.

javadog
06-10-2005, 02:39
Be sure to take some pictures along the way of each
step and post them when you are done. I have a related question. Would you do things any differently if the engine was going to be removed
for a rebuild? Mine is going to have to come out soon and I wanted to get the IC installed then.

opto
06-10-2005, 13:23
The only disadvantage I can think of is that you get a better flow in a crossflow intercooler

99gmccrew
06-10-2005, 20:32
I would agree with opto. Also, cutting the snorkel on the intake was extremely easy. Not a big deal at all. I believe only 6 bolts to remove it and 30 seconds with a sawzall, then smooth out edges for better airflow. Done!

99gmccrew