PDA

View Full Version : Finally-Went to 5-40 Sythetic!

DickWells
06-12-2005, 07:32
Well, I did it. Couple of weeks ago. Put in a filling of Rotella 5-40. About 250 miles on it. Holding my breath. Waiting for the hammer to fall. Wellll, it's not that bad.
I let the thing drain over night. Funny thing, but it took almost a quart more to fill it up, as opposed to a half hour or less drain time. Eight vs seven quarts.
I can't see much, if any, loss of oil pressure. I see just as much blackness as with non-synthetic, though. Maybe the sythetic has busted loose some soot? If it gets too black, I'll do a premature change, just to flush it.
No drop in the level so far. If I get more than 1800 out of the first quart, I'll feel like I've found some improvement.
Wish me luck and stay tuned.
Dick Wells

Billman
06-12-2005, 15:12
I planned on making the change to 5W-40 myself after the upgrades were in place(Gears & Girdle).

With the discovery of Cracked Webs, I feel like I'll be wasting it.

Good luck...

ace58
06-13-2005, 01:42
I had my oil analyzed with 5/40 and all was well. I noticed a pressure drop when warmed up. As soon as I went back to 15/40, all was well. Good luck, hope it is better for you.

Hubert
06-13-2005, 03:15
I don't know if its absolutely necessary but I would do at least the first fill an early change for sure.

Synthetic usually does clean up the engine a little when you first switch to it. Most recommend flushing first. Personally I think flushing is too harsh. Have heard and like this idea: doing a 2 time one quart of synthetic to fill with regular oil with a cheap filter and doing a 200 mile or so change. Wouldn't hurt to change the first all synthetic fill early too.

moondoggie
06-13-2005, 05:27
Good Day!

I changed all trucks listed below to 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic a year or so ago.
</font> The oil pressure shows no change from what I used before (15W-40 Rotella summer, 10W-30 Rotella winter). Although our oil pressure gauges are certainly not accurate, I am guessing they would indicate a change.</font> Since the 95 pickup gets driven the most since the changeover, I've noticed the oil doesn't seem to get as black, & doesn't get black as quickly after a change.</font> I've notice NO difference in oil consumption - all these trucks seem to go ~ 2000 miles B4 needing a quart added.</font> I picked up NO additional leaks from this changeover.</font>These, of course, are just my observations. Three trucks is a long way from statistically significant data. ;)

Overall, I'm VERY happy with this changeover - I now stock only one oil instead of four (10W-30 & 15W-40 Rotella for the trucks, 5W-30 & 10W30 for the cars). :D

Blessings!

jspringator
06-13-2005, 08:16
Looks like Rotella has changed the graphics on the bottle, and Wal*Mart has raised the price! Probably some new upgrade.

moondoggie
06-13-2005, 09:15
Good Day!

I hope it hasn't gone up much - $3 per quart is kind of my price point. :(

Blessings!

jspringator
06-13-2005, 11:24
It went from $12.84 to 13 something. Didn't they create a new top line diesel oil rating?

332bill
06-13-2005, 11:37
I think the Rotella synthetic was $13.54 per gallon at walmart the last I checked. Mobil 1 5w-40 diesel oil was 19.96 for 5 quarts. This is only 60 cents per quart more than the Rotella and I think Mobil 1 is generally considered to be a better oil.

Bill

Dvldog 8793
06-13-2005, 15:14
Howdy
I tried to switch to Mobil synthetic(Delvac 1) with my old engine(110,00 miles) Developed new leaks but it started and ran better. I couldn't tolerate the spots in the driveway so I switched back. After that engine grenaded and I put in new long block I switched over again(after about 12,000 miles break in). NO leaks and almost no(.5 - .75qt) oil consumption for 5,000 miles(thats all the longer I can take not changing the oil). I was paying $25 per gallon for the Delvac 1, now with it being at Walmart for $20/5qt that makes it even better.
I did the cheap filter flush with both switches.
The oil seems to get dirty at about the same rate as before.
L8r
Conley

DickWells
06-13-2005, 16:36
If I could learn how to spell synthetic, I might sound a little more intelligent! I proof read that post, I swear.
DW

332bill
06-15-2005, 05:01
Just a note of clarification. The Mobil 1 synthetic diesel oil at Walmart that is $19.96 for 5 quarts is the truck and SUV oil. Not Delvac 1.

Bill

Dvldog 8793
06-16-2005, 03:58
Howdy
When the Mobil 1 hit the shelf at Walmart I contacted Mobil and asked them what the difference was. The answer that I got was that the Delvac1 was not available at Walmart and came in 1 gallon jugs. I tried to get them to tell me exactly what was different between the two but couldn't get a firm answer.The Truck/SUV 5-40 has ALL the latest ratings for diesel and Gass engines. My opinion would be that it is Delvac1 marketed for the avaerage consumer so they can take advantage of all the SUV owners that think that a SUV oil is something special! :D
L8r
Conley

DeezlStinson
06-16-2005, 07:05
Howdy Y'all!

I switched to Shell 5W-40 a couple of years ago when I started using it in my VW TDI. My 94 Suburban has 145,000 on it now and I've been using it since 100,000 and I noticed no difference at all. I didn't have any leaks before. I seem to use a little more than 1qt in 5000 miles. Previously I ran DELO 400 15w-40 and changed it at 2500 since new.

The Mobile Delvac 1 5w-40 is the same stuff as Truck/SUV 4w-40 I'm told.....it's just repackaged.

It's probably not necessasary to "flush" when switching oils. You're just wasting oil IMHO....just change it at whatever interval you like. I'm running mine 5000miles in the Suburban and 5000 in the VW (although I went 9000 on the last oil change....VW says to go 10,000 miles!)

If you do oil analysis you'll probably find you can go more than 5,000 miles if it's all highway. I don't think it's worth it to do analysys since the additional cost of the analysis has to be figured into the total change. Plus you need to change the filter on a regular basis. Some people are using bypass filters and analysis and are going a lot more miles. That works well I suppose but I think that would be more advantageous for people who drive a zillion miles per week/month/year etc.

The less you drive the more often you should change the oil.

I bought my Suburban in APR 94 and have 145,000 miles on it. That's only about 13,000 miles per year so I get about 3 oil changes per year. Even if you drive less you should change your oil no less than twice a year.

I DO NOT use additives. Oil or fuel. For the first 60,000 I used Stanadyne performance formula. My pump failed at 60,000. After I replaced the pump I did not use any additive at all and I've got 145,000 on it now. Should I conclude that the SPF caused the failure? Probably not...But I don't think the additive did anything either...other than cost me additional money for fuel!

I believe I'll probably keep this Suburban and replace the engine/trans when it's required. New ones cost WAY too much!!

Regards,

Rick