PDA

View Full Version : Losing coolant

David Brady
06-12-2005, 18:40
At 195K miles I am putting more water in the reservoir. It appears to be leaking out at the juncture of the timing cover and the block. So I think I need to replace the timing chain as well as the water pump and upgrade to the newer thermostat housing at the same time. Any tips for parts? How long will this take in my garage?

damork
06-13-2005, 04:55
The time required varies depending on the tools you have, I did mine in a weekend after making sure I had all the pieces and proper tools. Pulling the harmonic balancer from the crank was my big concern going into it, but it was much easier than I thought. I'd consider replacing it while you are at it as they are known to cause crank failures.

I buy GM parts from www.teamchev.com, (http://www.teamchev.com,) you can call and talk with Gale. Best OEM prices I have found when you consider shipping/handling to the door.

While you are in there you might consider installing the DSG gears instead of the chain. I did mine at 160k and have nearly 50k on the setup. Get yourself the Felpro gasket timing chain cover gasket kit as well. The factory uses anaerobic sealer instead of gaskets. I've done it like the factory once and the last time I used the anaerobic sealer with the thin gasket - either way works. You need to make sure everything is spotless going back together. An FYI - use acetone to help clean up the silicone sealer the factory uses where the pan gasket lip attaches to the timing cover.

john8662
06-13-2005, 05:45
Also note that if you're getting a leak in the area you're describing you'll most likely need a new timing cover. Most times engines with the green coolant that develop a leak there have eroded the ports in the timing cover. Just wanted to mention that so you can look closeley when you get it apart.

I also agree withe above advice regading the gasket kit. I like to use the gasket remover aerosol to remove the oil brown sealer GM uses.

David Brady
06-13-2005, 11:11
The dealer says that cover is $235. What are the chances that a new gasket will seal it up? I have changed the coolant several times, but the other area I had a leak was the heater hose quick disconnect and that was eroded as well and I threw it away. Where do you recommend I get the gasket kit? Will NAPA sell this? Thanks,

john8662
06-13-2005, 12:06
Most auto parts stores that carry fel-pro products will have what you're looking for. I think its called a front cover gasket set. I had this but it was with a complete gasket set for the 6.2. For the cover you'll have the best luck (if you have to go down this road) finding a used one, I regularly see them on ebay all of the time. I can get you one from one of the local diesel shops near me too. You shouldn't have to pay much more than 50 for a used cover. But get it all apart before you purchase a front cover, unless you need the truck together asap.

N9Phil
06-13-2005, 17:26
I just replaced my water pump on one of my 95's over the Memorial day Weekend. I ordered the High Capacity waterpump kit and Phazer Timing gear set from Kennedy diesel. I also replaced the lower hose and serpentine belt. Total job took me about 15 hours but I took my time so as not to screw up anything. I also replaced the o-rings in my oil filter adapter. They just crumbled when I removed them. I picked up a gasket set from NAPA and I am glad I did. I used the Black Hi Temp RTV on everything. I still need to get the timing reset but the truck started right up and have been using it almost every day and it runs great. Using the 195 deg. thermostats, I run no higher than 190 deg on the gauge even on the 90 deg weather we had last week.

Take good notes and pictures if possible so as to save time when putting everything back together. I took pictures and still had to take a look at my other 95 when it came to remounting the power steering bracket.

A couple of books that are real handy to have are

1- The 6.5L Turbo Diesel Engine Volume

2- The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting & Repair Guide.

They are both available by going to the Home page and clicking on Books.

------OR------

http://www.thedieselpage.com/books.htm

A tip that I received from a neighbor that really saved me a lot of time and frustration. I put my air jack on the front bumper and raised the truck, removed the wheels and then lowered the truck all the way down. It was so much easier to work on that it almost made it a real pleasure.

Phil (IL)

[ 06-13-2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: N9Phil ]

David Brady
06-14-2005, 11:09
Thanks guys, that's about what I thought on time. The weird thing is after putting a gallon in this morning - dripping all night outside- I get to work and check it at lunch, and its still full and not leaking today! But now I'm skittish and the dealer has quoted me $530 labor to do it and I may take him up on it. I would really like to do it myself but I'm busy at work right now, and that seems attractive enough, though they admit they haven't done any to date - scary! If I do it I'll still have to time it at the dealer afterward for $150+. I don't have any bars leaks in it I've just added distilled water when needed. Any body have a leak that just went away?