PDA

View Full Version : Centerforce Dual Friction vs LuK Clutch

StephenA
11-13-2003, 16:04
Does anyone know how the Centerforce Dual Friction and the LuK clutchs stack up against eachother? Is there another brand that should also be considered?
Thanks in advance ;)
Stephen

Brandon
11-13-2003, 20:18
I have the HIGH dollar LUK clutch in my truck. It is the only one thast I have found that will hold up for more than 60,000 miles. The newest one has a brass bushing for the pilot instead of the needle bearing. This one won't slip like the others do.

GMCfourX4
11-14-2003, 07:58
If your truck hasn't been converted to a single-mass flywheel, you can pick the Centerforce clutch, but if it has the newer style single-mass flywheel, Centerforce doesn't make one.... I called them and asked.... I opted to save a crapload of money and get the LUK clutch... I had it replaced right after I got the truck b/c of a leaky tranny input-shaft seal (turns out the springs were shot anyway...) and then I replaced it again when the friggin pilot bearing wore out again, just for preventative reasons (and b/c it was slightly burned in the middle from not sitting straight, b/c of said pilot bearing) but the clutch had no noticeable wear on it, even with 60,000 miles of city driving and constant downshifting (that's how I got 100,000 out of my first set of brakes :D ).
-Chris

StephenA
11-14-2003, 09:00
Does the single mass flywheel handle more torque? I hear the dual mass absorbs vibrations; is the single mass any harder on the crank or tranny or is it just smoother/quieter? If the single mass is stronger/more reliable, that seems best, with the LuK clutch.

Jolie
11-14-2003, 13:08
On our 94 K3500 6.5L TD we replaced the dualmass flywheel and clutch with the Luk kit. We were advised by one mechanic to put the transmission dampener on, but at another not to, we didn't add that. We have very little gear noise and the truck seems fine, very good clutch. The Luk kit was what was recommended to us by a transmission shop that deals with these all the time. Clutch kit and flywheel cost about $525 with freight here in Alaska. Of course it didn't fix the herky jerky problem like everyone said it would, that turned out to be the blasted IP.

StephenA
11-16-2003, 20:03
Thanks for the info guys. Jolie, I hope your truck gives you a break in the way of good service & operation for a change- you guys sure have put the work into it!