PDA

View Full Version : Improving Cold Starts for Electronic 6.5 Diesels

More Power
11-14-2003, 09:32
Improving Cold Starts
for Electronic 6.5 Diesels
By Todd D. Smith
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/toddm.htm

The AC-60G glow plugs are the current GM recommended replacements for all 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines. However, these plugs are somewhat cooler when compared to the older AC-9G and AC-11G plugs, which can affect cold starting. Extending the initial glow cycle improves cold starts, which can be important when using "cooler" glow plugs or for any situation when longer glow cycles improve starting. This procedure explains how to increase glow cycle time in all 1994 and newer electronically controlled 6.5L diesel equipped vehicles.

Shad
11-19-2003, 18:52
Can you still get the 9 or 11 plugs?? I see KD has quick heat plugs... Are they sufficiant for nothern cold starts??

ucdavis
11-25-2003, 17:21
The 11Gs are available thru local parts stores, though probably mostly where they have old inventory.

freddys
11-26-2003, 05:17
Originally posted by Shad:
Can you still get the 9 or 11 plugs?? I see KD has quick heat plugs... Are they sufficiant for nothern cold starts?? Iam in northern ont canada and i put a set of KD Quick Heat Glow Plugs in last week and they made a big diff from the 11g plugs that were in there befor.

TurboDiverArt
11-26-2003, 17:34
I'm totally new to Diesels. In fact my 99 Bubr hasen't even arrived yet. When did the newer glow plugs become available? What type would me 99 have in it?

Thanks,

98diesel
12-01-2003, 12:30
ut oh a buick guy on a diesel page lol

TurboDiverArt
12-04-2003, 05:32
Originally posted by 98diesel:
ut oh a buick guy on a diesel page lol OK, who's this and how do you know me? I get a kick when I find people I know from other boards. Found a good long lost friend on a Buick board and he's a Mustang guy!

Hey, I needed something to pull the racecar around with and what better than a Suburban Diesel? Only wish I could have found one in black to match the racecar.

Thanks,

Cowracer
12-08-2003, 12:40
Art, you might want to take your Email address off your 'signature'. Lots of spammers use a ******* search bot to find email addresses on web pages.

You will get spammed to death!

Tim

Horse
12-18-2003, 04:17
Good Morning,
I live in Ottawa, would any auto parts store have
KD quick heat plugs? Would you have the official
part numbers or a more detailed description.
Please email me at david.bogart@corel.com
Many thanks.

Originally posted by freddys:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shad:
Can you still get the 9 or 11 plugs?? I see KD has quick heat plugs... Are they sufficiant for nothern cold starts?? Iam in northern ont canada and i put a set of KD Quick Heat Glow Plugs in last week and they made a big diff from the 11g plugs that were in there befor. </font>[/QUOTE]

rjschoolcraft
12-18-2003, 06:29
Go to the advertisers section of the DP. Look for Kennedy Diesel. You can order them online at his website.