PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Additive

TJ
10-18-2004, 16:46
Hey guys,
Have we ever come to a conclusion on if and what type of coolant additive to run in our Dex-Cool trucks?

Thanks,
TJ

Dvldog 8793
10-18-2004, 18:32
Howdy
Everyone that I've ever talked to has said that bu adding ANYTHING to Dex-cool you stand a good chance of killing it and turning it into brown sludge. :mad: I know (from experience) that a product called cool-down will make a nice brown goop when mixed with Dex-cool. :D What are you wanting to change about the Dex-cool???
L8r
Conley Janssen

TJ
10-19-2004, 14:53
Hi there,
I was just thinking of an additive that would prevent cavitation and would just do the cooling system some good.

MTTwister
10-20-2004, 09:24
TJ ! Billings, eh? Here's one thread on an additive, and why -

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006022

CleviteKid
10-20-2004, 10:22
Hi TJ:

Don't let the problems with those N*v*st*r engines mislead you about our 6.2L and 6.5LTD engines. We have never had a cavitation problem with DEXCOOL or with the old green coolant. Our engines are stiff enough in the right places.

For successful use of DEXCOOL, only mix it with distilled water (about 89 cents a gallon at the grocery store - and be sure it says DISTILLED, you don't want "drinking water" loaded with minerals) and keep the system FULL of coolant. Air is a bad actor in a DEX COOL system.

Personally, I change 1/2 the coolant every year, draining about 3 gallons of my 50-50 DEXCOOL + DISTILLED mix and filling it back up with fresh.

Never had a cooling problem, and the fluid stays nice and clean, as does the inside of the radiator. I don't think we need any additive.

Dr. Lee :cool:

TJ
10-20-2004, 18:34
Hey Dr. Lee...Thanks! I will follow your orders strictly!

MTTwister...yes sir, Billings. If you ever run down yonder, let me know. I want to see your high idle, as I want to do the same. And, maybe consume 1 or 2 bottles of our favorite beverage!

Thanks guys,
TJ

MTTwister
10-20-2004, 19:36
TJ - Sounds good to me. Hi-Idle is easy, once you get the correct pins for the ECM plug ( on a '96 anyway).
Used to live up in the Heights, and over on 1700 block St Johns - '72 until '89. Taks Care, weather's getting crummy.

Spindrift
10-21-2004, 03:20
What is the logic behind wetting agents and is it cheap insurance?

MTTwister
10-21-2004, 06:57
Spindrift - I think the logic is to help break up the surface tension to get less aeration ( uhmmm micro surface air bubbles) preventing heat exchange between the walls and the water, as the water passes by. The 'cheap' approach I've read about is a few drops of Dawn dishwashing soap - ...takes the grease out of the way... Seems to be a lot of opinions about effectiveness, I've got the Dawn, haven't put it in.

Spindrift
10-21-2004, 08:20
I was thinking about Red Line's Water Wetter.