PDA

View Full Version : SUCCESS !!!!!!!

mhagie
11-16-2003, 18:14
HOOOOORAY,I got it the knock be gone it idles smooooth.
Thanks guys, Turbovair,Patric M for the pics, and a GREAT big thanks to Jim P for thinking of the obvious rather than complicated diagnosis.
It never dawned on me the injector lines could be crossed, DUH!
Randee, my problems were smoking,idle kinda rough, knock when load applied, could blip throttle loosen #7 inj knock come and go when loosening/tightening inj line.
On yours it could be injector, loosen lines one at a time listen and notice how much idle is affected.
BTY I e-mailed 3 pics to Jamie Avant, told him to look at pics and call me, by golly about an hour later he did saying he knew exactly what was wrong, could tell by the pics.
He offered to reimburse me for my time working on this problem, However I think that one of his guys will end up contributing to the cause for making such a humongus stupid mistake.
Again Thanks guys, thank god for The Diesel Page
its the greatest.
Merle :D :D :D :D

patrick m.
11-16-2003, 18:56
Fantastic! this is what TDP, and buddys are for. ;)

whatnot
11-16-2003, 21:54
How easy is it for the lines to get crossed? My 95 has been putting out black smoke ever since I changed the injection pump.
When I changed it, I just unscrewed the lines and sliped the old pump out and the new one in so I don't see how it could have happened though.
Which two were they?

mhagie
11-16-2003, 22:09
Mine were #7&8 the top two, they cross over each other.
look at my earlier post Patrik M posted a pic that shows the numerical alignment on the pump also the heads you can trace your lines according to the pic..........Merle

Jim P
11-17-2003, 03:55
Merle,

I am glad you got it fixed. I am sure that after spending all that money on a rebuild, the knock was not music to your ears.

I noticed in your earlier post that you replaced the injectors. My truck needs new ones and I was wondering what all you have to remove to get the injectors out. I am assuming that the turbo will have to be removed to get at the ones on the passengers side. Also, if you want to sell those rebuilt injectors, let me know.

mhagie
11-17-2003, 09:46
Jim,Sorry to say my 6.5 is in a 80 silverado so I was forced to go with a Banks unit 82-87, a standard 6.5 turbo won't clear the a/c box in mine so I can't say as how easy it would be in your 95 to change injectors.
As for the reman injectors I have to return them to Jamie at The Diesel Depot, he sent me new ones after I complained about mine being reman plus the fact at that time we thought it could be an injector.
I'm really sorry that I can't be as much help as you were to me :(

Jim P
11-17-2003, 10:41
No problem Merle. I just thought maybe you didn't have a use for those extra injectors.

I found high pop injectors at a place in kentucky for $375.00. I think I am going to try those.

Does anybody else know what all has to be removed to replace the injectors? I had mine out when I was rebuilding the engine but I have never taken them out with the engine all together. I had them tested and the guy who tested them said they had quite a bit of life in them but one cylinder misses until the engine warms up. I'm still kicking myself for not replacing them during the rebuild.

Kennedy
11-17-2003, 13:11
Originally posted by whatnot:
How easy is it for the lines to get crossed? My 95 has been putting out black smoke ever since I changed the injection pump.
When I changed it, I just unscrewed the lines and sliped the old pump out and the new one in so I don't see how it could have happened though.
Which two were they? Pretty darn tough to do, but where there's a will there's a way...

twaddle
11-17-2003, 14:09
Hi Jim P,
You shouldn't have to remove the turbo to get to the injectors.
The heat shields pull out once the small bolts have been removed.
It also helps if you have an injector socket with the hex at the top shoulder so you can use a spanner at the tight spots.
Make sure you remove the leak off hoses and blank plugs or you will have difficulty getting the socket on the injectors.
While you're at it check out the glow plugs.

Regards and watch out for the skinned knuckles.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

Barry Nave
11-17-2003, 14:37
smile.gif Leave turbo on. It's not hard at all!