PDA

View Full Version : Missing & excessive oil loss

Eric Selinger
11-16-2003, 19:22
Okay guys,

I have a big problem here.

I traveled to Dallas Friday (from Midland).I noticed a smell of burning oil all the way here. I got into Dallas about 6 P.M. I had to slow down in traffic and noticed that my truck was running rough (missing) It would idle real low, but wouldn't die and restarts okay. But there is something really wrong. It is pushing lots of oil out of the dipstick tube and oil fill tube profusely. The engine compartment is oil soaked as well as everything under the truck. When I accelerate (from a stoplight) I can hear what sounds like a rod knock but only under the load of take-off. When the truck gets up a bit of RPMs all of the sudden it sounds like a release or air like airbrakes on big trucks, it feels like at this point (air burst discharge) it gains a little power and smooths out a bit. I went ahead and drove it home (300+ miles) We made it home but I think it could be worse now(I would rather have to rebuild the engine than leave my truck there). I had to put about 12 quarts of oil in her, but we made it home. Anyone have an idea what my problem is and where to start?
It seems to run okay at highway speeds other than that it ran a little rough. I installed a turbomaster on the turbo a couple months ago but don't believe that it caused any of the ecxcessive crankcase pressure.

Is there anyway to tell which cylinder(s) are bad (I don't have a compression tester that big).Oil pressure and temperature were good the whole way home. The oil pressure has been running about 10psi higher from the increased crankcase pressure. I don't think I blew any seal. Any chance that I might just be able to re-ring the bad cylinder(s)? I have never really pulled much of a load especially on the highway.

I hope that someone has an idea or is familiar with this problem.

P.S. It is a 94 6.5TD with the original glow plugs and 195,962 miles. I'd like to get a few more out of her if I can, but I reallyfear that she's toast.

I look forward to all of your replies.

Sincerely,

Eric Selinger
Cell:(432)349.2994
selingere@starband.net

Kidd
11-16-2003, 19:36
You could loosen injector lines one at a time while it is idling. When you loosen the bad one, should be no change, or not as much.
K.D.

Eric Selinger
11-16-2003, 19:50
How would the injectors (or bad injectors) be related to the excessive oil blow by?

Thanks!

Erixc

whatnot
11-16-2003, 21:42
That sounds a lot like what my 93 was doing. The picture below is what I found after pulling the head.
It sounded like a steam engine when it was idling.

http://www.rsixray.com/images/62piston.jpg

bobt
11-16-2003, 21:46
Hi. When I had what sounds like the same problem with lots of oil coming out of the filler tube, I also experienced some loss of power but it still ran reasonably smooth as long as I didn't put a load against it. The Chev dealer in Amarillo, Tx told me my engine was shot, specifically the #8 cylinder.

gmctd
11-17-2003, 05:01
Badly blown head gasket, into the valley chamber, cracked or holed piston, or plugged CDR system.
Check the CDR path first, from turbo inlet to valve cover- turbo inlet should be incredibly oily if CDR is open.
If it's not that, it's time for the 200k tear-down and inspection. 200k on the glow plugs may require head removal, at any point.

turbovair
11-17-2003, 10:24
Just an opinion, but it sounds like you may have burnt/melted a piston, probably number 8. Compression leaking into crankcase pushing oil into CDR and eventually outside the engine. You mentioned a turbomaster.Were you running boost levels higher than normal?Ive often wondered how 6.5 pistons hold up under higher boost.

cruzer
11-17-2003, 12:19
Eric, I had exactly the same symptoms. Even the air noise. I had a cracked #3 piston. Do the injector test to figure out which cyldr it is. Or
pull the glow plugs. My dead cyldr had a heavily oil soaked the plug, it was just like looking at the dipstick. You may be able to rent a high pressure comp testor. I had "0" psi in that cyldr. I hope your luck is better than mine was. Good luck

pannhead
11-17-2003, 15:29
gosh, that really sucks :( ....i think the baby is toast...good luck