PDA

View Full Version : Brake Performance

Bruce Ostien
08-14-2003, 12:14
I've got a 99' old body style 3/4 ton TD Suburban that I would like to improve the brake performance on. While testing the limits of my brakes I found that after applying a certain amount of pedal pressure, the antilock system takes over and the brake pedal drops to the floor. While in this mode, I hear no tire screeching and the vehicle does not stop soon enough. Will installing higher performance pads improve my stopping distance or is the antilock system kicking in because it is already sensing wheel slippage with the existing pads?

Bruce Ostien
08-14-2003, 12:48
Is there a way to increase the pressure at which the anti lock system kicks in so that more pedal pressure can be applied?

JoeyD
08-14-2003, 16:06
There are plenty of poor braking complaints in the burb, but I think something else could be wrong. The pedal should never go to the floor.

rjschoolcraft
08-14-2003, 19:57
Actually, the pedal will go down (near to the floor) when the ABS is working, then push back against your foot. If the ABS is working properly, that means that braking effort has overcome the traction between the tires and the pavement and the ABS is giving you the maximum braking effort available for the traction conditions. However, if you have any sensor problems, the ABS may be activating incorrectly...thereby reducing the braking effort. You can check the system by following the manual procedures.

rustypig
08-15-2003, 10:06
C/K version braking has always been poor at best.
ABS can get weird signals if the sensors or "geared" sensor teeth get loaded full of magnetized particles from semi-metalic and metalic brakes. A good pressure washing on these area's has cured more than one ABS problem. However, the overall braking on Subs leaves a lot to be desired.

cruzer
08-15-2003, 11:23
A friend of mine has a 2000 K2500 old body style
and didn't like his ABS, so he disabled it by pulling the fuse. He likes his brakes now.

Bruce Ostien
08-18-2003, 12:49
Thanks for your help.

I pulled the abs fuse and tried the brakes. System seems to be responding about the same...pedal drops out from under you when applying hard and sudden pressure as if in a panic stop. The pedal does push back against your foot after dropping out.

I intend to get the GM service manual(s) and will test system performance according to these.

I will probably start with new rear drums and shoes as the rear brakes have never been touched per the service history print-out. Truck has 123K.

cruzer
08-18-2003, 13:10
Are you loosing fluid? If the brakes are fading to the floor then the fluid has to be going somewhere. Check for leaks first. Master cyl,
wheel cyls calipers.

C & M Oilers
08-19-2003, 15:57
Gentlemen, it sounds like a good old characteristic of the GM hydroboost system. I think what you are experiencing is a normal hydroboost situation. Yes, an underengineered brake system at best. Theoretically, a greater coefficient of friction material should shorten stopping distances. JMHO, have a great day!

C & M Oilers
08-19-2003, 16:00
Gentlemen, it sounds like a good old characteristic of the GM hydroboost system. I think what you are experiencing is a normal hydroboost situation. Yes, an underengineered brake system at best. Theoretically, a greater coefficient of friction material should shorten stopping distances. JMHO, have a great day!

damork
08-19-2003, 21:08
I've seen a few advertisements for rear drum-to-disc brake conversion kits for these units, but I haven't heard how they work. I've been real tempted to try converting 'cause my Yukon has no where close to the stopping capability as my wife's Explorer which has rear disc brakes.

tanker
08-20-2003, 03:52
Damork, about a hundred miles north of you in Douglas WY. member Ron Pierce has rear dics brakes on his 1500 pickup. He also tows an Airstream trailer. You can see his rig in the 5th. Rendezvous photos, (2003 Rendezvous)
Ron maybe you could comment on how they work. smile.gif
My brakes are awful as well. I installed "Power-Stop" cross drilled rotors and pads a few years back, and will be replacing the pads again soon. They helped somewhat, but one key is rear brake shoe adjustment. But that does not last long. I had the proportioning valve changed as well at GM, that also helped a little, by putting more brake to the rear. I should carry an anchor for emergency stops! :D