PDA

View Full Version : What guages and shocks to get?

Big Red Suburban
08-14-2003, 16:16
I would like to add a boost guage and maybe a exhaust temp guage. Possibly more... Who sells the best guages or kit?

Also, the shocks seem worn out on my suburban, is this vehicle a good candidate for the newer Bilstein shocks discussed in the Member pages? Anyone have experience using these new shocks?

Thanks alot...

Jesse

ucdavis
08-14-2003, 16:48
ISSPRO is the unqualified leader in quality guages (that oughta bring on some opinions!) even tho I went w/Autometer. Definitely get the EGT guage; some guys add a trans tem guage if automatic and haul big loads.

Dvldog 8793
08-15-2003, 07:07
Howdy
I have ISSPRO boost and EGT in my pillar mount and cyberdyne digital oil temp and trans temp in my overhead. Both seem to work well. I have used all types of gauges in my hot rods and I ISSPRO is the best for your money. I used the Cyberdyne because they work and look cool in the overhead, also they are VERY easy to see quickly.
I have Rancho rs9000 shocks and have good luck with them. My only comparison is to factory shocks.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

damork
08-15-2003, 11:59
Big Red Suburban
My preference is VDO as I have used the brand for years without problems. I have the Vision series in a triple pillar on my truck and at the time they were the only gauges that closely matched the factory dial (black with white letters, orange pointer and light passes through the dial). WWW.egauges.com (http://WWW.egauges.com) sells triple pillar kits with these gauges for our trucks for about $280 complete (boost/pyro/temp) last I checked. I was trying to buy a VDO classic series pyro at first and found out that they switched to the Vision series. At the time, Banks gauges were simply repackaged/relabled VDO stuff.

I know a lot of people who say the Autometer gauges are the most accurate and reliable you can find, and Isspro seems to be available all over too. I've just found that VDO works very well for me and when it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Blitz and Defi are a couple of new pricey brands I see popping up.

FirstDiesel
08-16-2003, 06:02
I'll reply on the shocks issue.

1 word

Bilsteins

You won't be disappointed.

Big Red Suburban
08-18-2003, 12:31
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and ordered ISSPRO gauges (boost, EGT, and tranny temp) for the A-pillar. I also order a set of 4 Bilstein shocks to help the ride out.

Anyone have any experience installing these gauges? For example, where to mount the boost, and tranny sensors, and where to locate the EGT probe?

Thanks for all input!