PDA

View Full Version : Falsely Accused!

rustypig
08-14-2003, 19:31
I spent the last couple of days thinking evil thoughts about the oil cooling lines on my 94 Sub (but mostly about GM engineers employed in 1994). Unfortunately...I don't believe the cooling lines are at fault now.

After a good power washing and a day or two of driving, I noticed a rather ominous volume of oil coming from around the end cap of my intercooler. I suspect a pinhole leak or two, (which sux in it's own right), but I'm assuming that this oil must be coming from a leaking turbo! EGADS...I'd love it to be oil cooling lines now.

That said, I know I can get rebuild kits for the turbo on my PSD for 50 bones. Does anyone got a line on turbo rebuild kits or a good source for new/rebuilt units at a reasonable (very) price?

Looking at a turbo and intercooler change at the same time doesn't sound like fun...in fact...ok the funs over.

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2003, 19:59
Howdy
Sounds like fun! I had my turbo replaced uner warrenty, with ALLOT of strong arming! My claim was that the inner seal/bearing was leaking oil into the intake. It wasn't much but it really bothered me. The dealer tried to tell me that the turbo wasn't part of the motor so I said "make it run right without it!". Anyways, I got a new turbo. As it turns out both myself and the dealer were wrong.(I think!?!) I had it into a diesel shop that specializes in IPs and turbos. He told me I ripped off my dealer because the oil was coming from the PCV system. Who wudda thunk it? It sounds like you have allot more oil than I did but it might not hurt to check.
Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
Conley

Kennedy
08-15-2003, 10:44
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
the oil was coming from the PCV system. Who wudda thunk it? It sounds like you have allot more oil than I did but it might not hurt to check.
Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
Conley You got it!

got boost?
08-31-2003, 13:16
I too feel as though I have an excessisive amount of oil inside my turbo and inlet into the engine. I also believe it is coming from the PCV system. Is there something wrong with the PCV system or do I have excessive crankcase pressure pushing the oil past the system?

stig
09-03-2003, 10:43
I'm new to the 6.5, but the PCV oil issue does occur in my other diesel (VW Passat TDI).

On the TDI: I have a homemade filter in line from the CCV to the turbo/intercooler piping. Basically, I just empty the filter trap at oil changes. The oil vapors combined with the EGR gasses causes a mucky buildup in the intake, so eliminating the oil keeps the intake and intercooler clean. For ideas on CCV filters etc check Fred's page at www.tdiclub.com (http://www.tdiclub.com)

I haven't checked to see if the 6.5's intercooler needs cleaning, if so , I'll clean it and add a filter of some sort.

cruzer
09-03-2003, 11:15
I replaced the CDR valve and it eliminated the oil at the I/C. GM recomends replacing CDR every 30k

More Power
09-03-2003, 14:23
I've tossed around the idea of installing a Duramax 6600 crankcase vent system to the 6.5. The Duramax uses two PCV valves, oil condensation box and associated hoses (to return condensed oil back to the crankcase).

According to a couple reports I read, an oil coating inside an intercooler reduces its effectiveness.

So, benefits from doing this would include a lower oil consumption and improved IC effectiveness.

MP

LanceW
09-03-2003, 14:32
I've heard from a couple different sources that the 6.5td WILL weep oil thru the turbo bearings- is that an old wives' tale? I'm guilty of repeating it here if it is...