PDA

View Full Version : ECM Hack for Electronic 6.5 Cold Starting?

AndyL
11-18-2003, 13:00
Is it possible to simply burn a new EPROM and add say 5 seconds to the GP duration per temperature?

Anyone have any information on the 1999 ECMs?

Turbine Doc
11-18-2003, 13:50
Andy have a look at MP's improving cold starts thread above it does pretty much what you are after, not a whole lot of support out there of R&D customization of "old truck" PCMs, I'd like to find somthing other than a Z Ind reflash to work with for a better performance program, for now Z is only one who has done much in OBD II. All money to vendors for R&D is in DMax, Cummins, PStroke, no return on investment on "obsolete trucks" for them to bother with. :(

Plus weakness of the basic 6.2/6.5 unmodded; leaves them open to too much liability as well. Not everybody is amiable to beta test of a new and improved version that might "damage the engine"

Our lot in life unfortunately to remain a 6.2/6.5er is to follow those who have gone before and moved on, do it out of our pocket for R&D, or maybe pick up something in the DMax world that might work on a 6.2/6.5 also.

Bobbie Martin
11-18-2003, 15:20
Your 98/99 OBD II trucks require a reflashed PCM, you cannot replace the chip. I don't know if the glow time is chip adjustable or not. For the upgraded PCM try Westers Garage (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm)

More Power
11-18-2003, 15:52
Hypertech announced and promoted a programmer for the OBD II 6.5 way back in 1997. The deliver date kept getting pushed back, and back, and back till I no longer heard anything about it.

They came as close to offering a user friendly 6.5 programming option as anyone. I don't know why they didn't go through with it.

Contact them....

MP

rjschoolcraft
11-18-2003, 19:05
Bobbie, I tried the link but it didn't work.

Turbine Doc
11-18-2003, 19:15
The link worked for me I'll call these guys Thanks for the info, guess no getting around the $600 or so reflash fee, that must be going rate whatever vendor you choose

AndyL
11-26-2003, 03:25
Originally posted by More Power:
Hypertech announced and promoted a programmer for the OBD II 6.5 way back in 1997. The deliver date kept getting pushed back, and back, and back till I no longer heard anything about it.

They came as close to offering a user friendly 6.5 programming option as anyone. I don't know why they didn't go through with it.

Contact them....

MP I contacted Hypertech. They responded by saying they don't have a programmer for the 96+ 6.5 and never planned to! Wonder why they wouldn't admitt to developing one and canceling it?