PDA

View Full Version : Game: Whats This Noise

thechevyhdman
11-18-2003, 19:19
Allright, Once again Im hearing a noise that isnt good, and I cant tell what it is.
When Im struggling my motor say like backing up a steep hill etc I hear a really light clanging sound, Id liken it to a fan belt hitting the fan, but isnt. It seems to get worse if its in 4hi, or if its a really steep hill and I got some good weight in the roll off behind me even in 4lo. It doesnt sound like the crank pulley..its like someones rapping a wrench on an exhuast pipe. I never heard an injector knock before, and Im not even really sure if thats what it is, But whatever it is it only happens when I struggle the motor.
I put this up because it seems like all these problems I cant find end up being easy for people here to figure out..
Bill

charliepeterson
11-18-2003, 19:37
Take a look at the motor mounts.

ToddMeister
11-19-2003, 04:15
It may be the down pipe hitting on the frame or firewall when truck is in reverse.

I had same problem after installing KD exhaust. In reverse backing up a hill the down pipe would contact a lip in the firewall, making a heck of a racket. A little attitude adjustment to the firewall lip was necessary.

thechevyhdman
11-19-2003, 13:11
Meister...you might have something here, Im gonna check it out. I was also thinking maybe some loose torque convertor bolts? maybe... I really abuse the snot out of this truck, so it could be anything....Noises arent bad I guess. Im surprized this thing even still runs.
Bill

cubby
11-19-2003, 17:30
See if you have a torque bar going from your transfer case to the back of the block on the passenger side. If you do, it very well could be hitting your exhuast.