PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plugs

david
11-18-2003, 22:08
What's the deal, i have always heard that the gp's expand and are hard to get out.
After i broke them loose they can out by my finger.
They are 11's
David :eek: :confused:

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2003, 23:42
Some do. Some don't. Consider yourself lucky. Install some 9G's and try it again in 100K or so.

taznj63
11-19-2003, 04:53
Well David, I would also consider yourself lucky.
I just replaced my 9G,s and 2 of the 8 are still in the truck because I can not get them out. :mad:
I have ordered a tool that will grab them and pull them out like a wheel puller does. I also have to remove the injectors just to be sure no pieces break off in the pre chamber.
I hope you installed quick heats from Kennedy Diesel as they will not burn out and swell up but also give a quick start in the cold.
Even with the 6 good plugs my truck fires right up now. lately temps were in the 20,s...

once again be glad you had no trouble... smile.gif

tom.mcinerney
11-20-2003, 16:35
taznj63: i think some members have removed injectors, then cut/broken off GPs with side-cutters, and removed GP tip from prechamber, then unscrew GP body from its threaded bore...

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2003, 19:04
I would not recommend cutting the GP off in the chamber (if you could really get cutters in there). Inside the GP "tube" is ceramic insulation. Braking it off or pulling it until it brakes, from the outside, is the best way to keep most of the ceramic insulation out of the chamber. Cutting it from the inside would surely scatter the insulation. Ceramic vs. metal. Ceramic wins.

I haven't seen a broken 11G or 60G. They may not even have the ceramic insulation. No talk about them swelling that I've heard.

I never could understand why US OEM's use the "pencil" type plugs. Most German OEM's use a "loop" type. More like a spark plug with the element at a much smaller dia. than the hole. They are extremely reliable and NEVER swell.

Shad
11-21-2003, 02:19
If they are 9's does that mean they are original? I just pulled a couple plugs yesterday annd checked wires and noticed they were 9's inn mine. Mine came out real easy and looked clean to me, so it makes me think they were changed somewhere along the way.

heavydutydieselman3
11-21-2003, 17:39
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
I would not recommend cutting the GP off in the chamber (if you could really get cutters in there). Inside the GP "tube" is ceramic insulation. Braking it off or pulling it until it brakes, from the outside, is the best way to keep most of the ceramic insulation out of the chamber. Cutting it from the inside would surely scatter the insulation. Ceramic vs. metal. Ceramic wins.

I haven't seen a broken 11G or 60G. They may not even have the ceramic insulation. No talk about them swelling that I've heard.

I never could understand why US OEM's use the "pencil" type plugs. Most German OEM's use a "loop" type. More like a spark plug with the element at a much smaller dia. than the hole. They are extremely reliable and NEVER swell. dmax, where do you get the pencil type glow plugs? never heard of them for chevy. what brand are they also. thanks for your time. hddm3