PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Control Unit died in 2,000 miles?

stevea
08-18-2003, 13:03
Want to see if anyone else has had this problem... brand new 2500hD crew cab - 2,554 miles. We're running about 80-85 in Montanta in last week's 98 degree heat. All temps are normal, and I'm not really maxed out.

Engine looses power, then virtually shuts down. Can only idle, and it sounds bad at idle. I let the whole thing cool off, pull all the fuses to try and reset the computer (not sure if that works), and go to restart and it works. Then, within a few miles, same thing happens.

It's throwing codes - P1223, P1232, P1238, and P1241. The dealer says it's the fuel control unit. OK, but my question is, why would that fail?

Talked to a dealer in Billings, MT that had several trucks with the same problem. He indicated that in a couple cases there was fuel in the connection harness for the module. I'm sort of leaning toward the opinoin that the excess heat created a bad seal, allowing fuel to go into the wiring harness, but I can't confirm that to be the case in my vehicle.

Help! Any opinions would be welcome.

Steve A - Chicago, IL

stevea
08-19-2003, 09:31
UPDATE---

The dealer is now replacing the module and indicated that there was fuel in the unit. I talked to another dealer and they said they've seen this before.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

FirstDiesel
08-19-2003, 17:46
If this is a DMAX truck you posted this in the wrong forum. Repost it in a DMAX forum if you want a response from DMAX people.