PDA

View Full Version : OK Stupid Question Here...

BigMikeO
11-19-2003, 19:01
OK,

I am attempting to replace the glow plugs on the passenger side of my 95 k2500 but sadly I can't get the Stupid wheel off. Normally to get a stuck wheel off I just put it up on a Jack Stand and give the wheel a good kick but that does not work. I even went after it for a while with a 3 lb dead blow hammer with no luck. I have heard some people talk about using a propane torch but I didn't want to try that yet. Anyone have any tricks they like to use?

pannhead
11-19-2003, 21:14
you probably got what i call "rust-welded"(heat,grime,rust)...spray wd-40,let it soak in,spray again,repeat etc....when you do get the wheel off, use a wire brush to get rid of the rust and grime from the wheel studs,it'll be easier next time

dstoops
11-20-2003, 05:39
Yep WD 40 is a good idea. It might help to tap around the center of the wheel after you spray. Sometimes that will help the lubricant to penetrate. If you run out of patience, I place a 3' 2x8 vertically up against the wheel (to protect it) and use the BIG sledge hammer on it. As a last resort you could heat it up around the center hole. This is assuming you have a steel wheel.
Dean
95 K2500 TD

DOG
11-20-2003, 09:31
use sledge hammer from inside outward .the way the wheel needs to go.rotate wheel hit again

Dimsdale
11-20-2003, 10:01
I ran into that problem on both front and back wheels. I won't even tell you about the rear drums!

I finally resorted to loosening the lugs just a bit (to back the lug nut cones away from the wheel holes) with the tire on the ground, and putting into drive for a second, then reverse for a second, to break the rust bond. You need your foot on the brake by the way.....

Seemed to work. I put a little antiseize on the part of the wheel that contacted the hub, and cleaned off the excess. So far so good.