PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD timing adjustment

Johnny B.
08-18-2003, 15:50
I wanted to get this question out since I briefly looked through the Chilton's manual. I'm going to install a new timing gear & chain set. I browsed through the manual and saw that the timing is set with the engine off? I was just a little surprised by this and to find out that the timing is adjusted at the injection pump?

Since I haven't really looked at it in depth yet is there much room for error or will everything just fall into place?

cruzer
08-19-2003, 12:34
There is no spark to ignite for combustion.
The compression is so great it heats the air hot enuff that when fuel is supplied it ignites the fuel/air mix. The pump act as the distrbutor and fuel delivery system. If you read in your manual you'll find there is a mark on the pump and one on the top of the timing cover. Line these marks up and it should start. Remember these marks were put there by GM, meaning they are close to being correct. After you get it running you should go to a diesel shop and have the timing checked and adjusted. Timing is critical to a Diesel.

For further info do a "search" on this subject. Remember, your truck should have mechanical injection when do your homework. There's no offset timing.