PDA

View Full Version : fan clutch and blade addition need help!!

Shaun091382
08-18-2003, 19:53
Hi i am planning on adding a 97+ cooling mod kit to my '93 chev 6.5TD with mechanical injection i am curious to know there are other kits available like a stage 2 that have a fan clutch and replacement fan i was wondering can i just add a fan clutch and fan blade after i install the stage 1 which is just the high capacity water pump thermostat and housing and hoses etc etc any info would be appreciated...i am looking at the kits available from DSG Canada.

bromak
08-19-2003, 09:51
If you are planning to do the installation yourself and have the time to shop around all the parts can be acquired for much less than a kit. The kit will make it easier if you are taking your truck to a mechanic to install the up-grades.I did the changeover on my 6.5 and it was relatively easy but you must modify the thermostat outlet with mechanical injection and re-configure the throttle cable bracket.Jim has an article on TDP that covers the whole process.
Good luck! Brian

cruzer
08-19-2003, 11:25
Shaun091382 Your fan clutch will bolt to the H/O
water pump, if the water pump is not the newest screw on style. Keep in mind the your 6 blade fan has a different bolt pattern than the 97 fan. Both fan clutches will bolt to the waterpump. So when you buy a new fan clutch, that would be the time to either go to 21" blade Duromax fan or the 9 blade 20" steel fan. I just did the 20" and 97 GM fan clutch, it works great for me. From what I've read the performance of each fan is about the same, but you may have to alter the fan shroud to get the 21" to fit. You may want to check out the aftermarket fan clutches also, they may not accept your 6 blade fan bolt pattern either.

As for parts, shop around and get the 1999 Feature Articles and Product Reviews from TDP and ask for the supplement too.It spells it all out.I called Jim and ordered the book. There are part
listings for every thing you will need in this forum also. Use the search function on top of the page.

[ 08-19-2003, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: cruzer ]

damork
08-19-2003, 20:57
Shaun091382
I just completed the HO water pump, the Duramax fan and the 97 fan clutch on my 95 and everything was bolt in. I didn't need to trim the radiator shroud either, seems like you have to find that out when you do the install. Some need it and some don't.

Johnny B.
08-20-2003, 00:18
I just picked up a cooling mod kit for my 93 at Peninsular for $346. It includes the modified throttle bracket, all I should have to do is grind a little off my idler pulley bracket. I'll know this sunday when I get started. I also picked up a timing chain and gear set since I'm half way there and my engine is high mileage.

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/parts.htm

tanker
08-20-2003, 03:42
After years of having my clutch fan engage late, at almost 210*-F I went with John Kennedy's clutch and the Dura-Max 9 blade composite fan. What a difference in cooling. I never see 210*-F on my gauge ever, even towing hard in 100*-F heat up mountains. Plus it is quiet, not like my old metal fan when it did kick in. However I did need to trim my fan shrould for clearence.
Just my 2-cents. ;)

MikeC
08-20-2003, 07:08
Shaun,

When you do the water pump you will be 90% of the way to the timing chain. I know $$$ don't grow on trees (at least not in my yard :D ) but you may want to consider gear drive timing while you are in that far. Just a thought.

Mike

cruzer
08-20-2003, 11:21
Johnny B., don't you have to alter the thermostat housing,or does pennisulars kit already come altered so new throttle bracket fits?