PDA

View Full Version : Found my Transmission Leak

DogDiesel
08-19-2003, 05:05
My honor is re-instated.
My truck had a minor transmission leak, which always appeared to be the gasket between 5sp tranny/transfer. Multiple times and methods to reseal did not work. It always appeared to leak right there. Each time, I used white light and had other fellows look for a crack, we found nothing. And we were looking.

I'm getting ready to go to Iraq for a six months, and this is just one item that HAS TO BE FIXED. Cannot leave the wife with just one auto. Must be redundant fallbacks. So, in the face of dis-honor and abomination, I took it to a transmission repair shop. Three days this guy test drove the truck and looked at it on the rack, he could not find it either. And he is the best. Gasket?
Finally, he put some dye in the tranny, and borrowed a light. We be darn. The rear casing had a hairline crack which oozed right into the gasket area. Crack coincides with seam. Heat expanded the hairline crk to produce 1/2 quart leak in 12 hours of driving. Just enough to be messy.
The repair charges were low. The hairline crack was a paint-over fault from rebuild at Phoenix Hardparts in AZ, not new. It leaked the same from day one of installation.
Now, with the old part off, knowing there is a crack, when I show the old part to someone, they cannot find it either, cause when I say hairline, I mean fine hair.
Dye and light. New tool for the kitbag?

Anywho, my Chevy is leak free, running fine, and hopefully will be that way next spring when I get to enjoy it again.

Wayne

BTW- the 82d Airborne is replacing the 3d Infantry in Iraq; reconfiguring for this routine mission from light Infantry Airborne to motorized, armor supported HMMV motorized Infantry, my vacation spot this winter. (~~Public common info~~)

rjschoolcraft
08-19-2003, 06:21
Hey, thanks for going over there. I will pray for you and your family. If it is at all possible, please report back now and then so that we can have an unbiased view of the progress there. I suspect that there are a lot more success stories than we hear about on the news. Having held a Secret Special Access clearance in the past, I understand that there will be things that you cannot share and I do not want to ask...but anything that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Dimsdale
08-19-2003, 10:55
I second that big THANK YOU!! Take care over there. Keep us posted (lots of Diesel Hummers that you can tell us about!)

DogDiesel
08-19-2003, 19:26
Nah,
What I'd rather you do in all seriousness, is kinda like the kid in the movie "Pay it Forward." Do something for someone local, help someone, all without expecting anything back, and just tell them to do the same.

After nearly 25 years of doing this military thing, I'm paid fairly well for a little ole six month winter tour.

What I'd really like-- is to know that there is a community out there in hometown USA when I return, and when I retire, one that give to those who try to help themselves and where adults serve as an example.

That is something you can do. For the men and women in uniform, make a community that we'd like to come home to. Make it work.

And we'll keep what we have to do out of your front yard the best we can.

Cause we eventually come home. Both having done our jobs. ;)

Wayne

twaddle
08-20-2003, 02:29
Wayne,
Your request for communities that can work and also work together without always expecting something back in return is something that would be good, all over the world.

My thoughts are with you and all the other coalition forces.

From Scotland in the UK

Jim Twaddle