PDA

View Full Version : P0216,P0251 *Updated* It was the LP, fixed.

AndyL
11-20-2003, 14:26
Driving home today the SES light came on. Both the P0216 and P0251 came on at the same time. Engine seems to run fine, has 55K miles on her. I have bought this truck in the last week and Plan to change the fuel filter, do you guy think the FSD or IP is heading south?

**Updated**

I replace the fuel filter. When attempting to purge the air fuel never flowed from the bleeder. I checked the lift pump on the frame rail, it is getting power but has no continunity and I can't hear it run. I should be able to hear this correct? Being a motor is should have some continunity also correct?

**Updated** Thanks guys, it was the lift pump. Everything is fine now and no codes.

[ 11-21-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: AndyL ]

richard7
11-20-2003, 15:45
According to a Hummer owner and Stanadyne rep., for a vehicule with a 51K miles engine , who had the same P0251 and P1216 TDC, it was the I/P optical sensor that is bad. :(

You have to go to a GM dealer for the no deductible I/P replacement, under the extended warranty policy 00064D.

richard7
11-20-2003, 15:56
I misread the first TDC that you say is P0216 instead of P1216 like the Hummer guy. Doesn't look good anyway...

Turbine Doc
11-20-2003, 20:33
Try this 1st Andy, open fuel filt bowl vent and turn key on to run but not crank lift pump should come on and you can hear it and see fuel from vent, if that doesn't happen get back with us and we can go from there.

AndyL
11-21-2003, 02:30
Originally posted by tbogemirep:
Try this 1st Andy, open fuel filt bowl vent and turn key on to run but not crank lift pump should come on and you can hear it and see fuel from vent, if that doesn't happen get back with us and we can go from there. No fuel and no sound. I have 12 volts at the pump.

jjgmc96
11-21-2003, 09:21
I thought I needed the inline feul pump the other day. I couldn't hear it run while waiting for the glow plugs. I did have continuity at the pump connector, around 168 ohms. 12v too, when I plugged it back in it started to run. Haven't checked for flow yet but will probably get a spare pump as this one has 104,000 on it.

ucdavis
11-21-2003, 11:30
Andy,
Lift pump needs both 12V and ground, I believe the grey wire is the 12V side. try one or both of the following:
1) next to or near the fuel relay (black plastic relay about 1.25" cubic, in the engine compartment and probably on firewall or left fender well area) there should be an empty female spade connector w/a white tag that says fuel or fuel pump (I recall it had a red wire). Jump 12V to that; it is a bypass for testing the lift pump or for purging air after filter change. If you do 12V there & no fuel pumping, then either pump is bad or no ground from pump.
2) jump 12V to grey wire into LP, & ground to other wire (black?). If no pumping, LP is bad.
My advice: don't run w/out lift pump operating. It will kill your Injection Pump which is heap big pain in the rump.

[ 11-21-2003, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: ucdavis ]