PDA

View Full Version : FSD RELOCATION

Scooby
11-21-2003, 04:51
I am getting a new IP under warranty for my 96 1500 6.5 . I would like to relocate the FSD to help preserve its life. Where can I get the kits to do so ?? Has anyone tried to locate it in the air intake anywhere?? GM did this with ECMs on many gas vehicles. Also, I am planning on adding an Amsoil/Dahl 2 micron fuel water separator- should I put it before or after the OEM filter?? (Easier to bleed thru OEM filter ??) I think it is 3/8 hose to OEM filter. (?)

HowieE
11-21-2003, 06:10
I tried to locate my FSD in the intake air flow behind the headlights, but there was not enough room. You could locate just the FSD itself there without a heatsink but I would be afraid of over heating just after shutdown. mine is located inside the bumper with 3 ins. of the heat sink extending below the bumper, see my site. I have had 2 FSDs fail while mounted on a BETA heatsink so I would suggest another approach.
Will the dealer reloacte for you during installation?

Marty Lau
11-21-2003, 09:46
Scooby;

Heath Diesel who has adds on the Page has kits and has better pricing than most places. Bill is a good guy and has been relocating PMD/FSD since 1994. I did the Beta cooler on the manifold like Howie it failed there too. I'm going Heaths route.

Here is thought Bill Heath wants $395 for his relocate kit which includes Extension, Driver mounted on heat plate instructions, Fuel calibration resitor and he ships it.
Now the Beta cooler is $160 and extension is $90 plus shipping.
For the extra $145 you could keep the driver on the new IP since you would have no power going through the PMD it sould not get as hot and may not get fried like th original. Now if your remote FSD dies just clip on to the one on the IP and drive on until you get replacement for the remote. Just an Idea.

HowieE
11-21-2003, 11:39
I should have mentioned it in my first post but if you look closely at my installation you will see just how a Heath system mounts up under the bumper.

I you do attempt to keep the pump mounted FSD as a spare try and get an old cable. Cut the end off and plug it into the FSD on the pump just to keep the contacts clean for when you need them.

ucdavis
11-21-2003, 11:58
Re: 2 micron filter, Stanadyne has opined that this level of filtration is too restrictive w/the OEM lift pump (which is set to produce ~5psi @ the IP. You will need a bigger lift pump for the restriction of 2 micron filter if you believe them (I do, but then I'm gullible).

gmctd
11-21-2003, 14:20
Don't believe him, guys - he ain't all that gullible! ;)

See, he knows that if a wife, or suitable accomplice, held an empty pillowcase over your face, you would have little difficulty in breathing.
That would be the 10micron filter.

If that same accomplice were to put a pillow in the pillowcase and hold it over your face, fresh air would be all around you, but not where you needed it the most.
That would be the 10 micron filter plus the 2 micron filter.

Takes more pump at higher pressure to overcome the increased restriction.

Right, ucdavis?

Scooby
11-21-2003, 19:41
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of mounting the Heath cooler and leaving the new FSD on the pump for emergency use.
About the filter... the Dahl separator I am going to use is rated for 40 gal. per hour flow, with a restriction of .75 inch of mercury, which is .368 psi . That is with the 2 micron filter. They also have a 10 micron element for "winter use", which I wont need in Florida. I talked to the mechanic at the dealership that changed my injection pump. He said if I install any aftermarket items in the fuel system it will void the warranty. I have 19000 miles left, but I think I would rather try to save the pump and driver, and say to heck with the warranty. Maybe remove the stuff if I do have another warranty claim !! smile.gif

dslpwr
11-22-2003, 06:51
I have Bills FSD also.
I mounted it under truck on top side of transmission cross over brace.
Had to make spacer to make it fit on top. Now it has air flow on both sides of heat sink.
It can be mounted about any where you like.

HowieE
11-22-2003, 13:08
dslpwr

I have got to beleave that the temperature just behind the engine and trans has got to be above 150 F in the summer. I say that because that is the operating temperature of my trans once the outside temp goes above 55 degrees F.

dslpwr
11-22-2003, 19:32
Hey HowieE,
I have felt of it after 2 hour trip and it is not hot at all.
Its mounted close to outside frame.

Marty Lau
11-24-2003, 09:12
Howie;

Thanks for the link to see how you mounted your Bill Heath FDS heat sink. I think that will help save me some time mounting it up when it arrives this week. smile.gif

Thanks I apperciate all the help I have gotten over the years from this site!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

DAVE FERENCZ
11-24-2003, 09:36
Good morning Howie,
Thanks for the web site. I have hard warm start on my burb (97). It started after a trip to penticton B.C. pulling about 7500.lb. Last week I noticed and replaced my lift pump(dead). I am sure this added to the failure of my pmd. I like your remote location. How long have you had it there? Thanks Dave Ferencz

ingringr
11-24-2003, 20:34
Interesting comments on FSD relocation.

I relocated mine on extension through firewall into the cab on cooler bolted to metal strut to left of steering colum, with 12 volt fan from Radio Shack. Early days but doing fine so far.

Any comments??

Scooby
11-25-2003, 03:23
I am thinking of doing something with a cooling fan also. I hadnt thought about putting it in the cab though. I am waiting to see how big Heath's plate is, and how long the extension is, then I will see where it will fit.

spra01
11-25-2003, 07:24
What wire size is needed on these FSD extensions, i'm planning on spliceing in a 4 to 5'extension (my warrenty is long gone)to allow remote FSD location,

ingringr
11-27-2003, 14:31
Further information on FSD placement.

Spra01, Not sure of the wire diameter that used, but it came from Kennedydiesel.com which sold the kit including FSD, couple of resistors 5 and 9 and the Cooler.. I thought they were competitively priced.

Scooby, I placed my cooler with the fan on it as indicated but I also picked up a cheap cooling thermostat from Home Depot depot which I wired into the circuit and put a lit switch on the dash. It comes on when the temperature increases on the cooler and then continues after the engine is switched off until the temperature drops. I can switch off the circuit from the dash switch if the ambient temperature would keep it on and I can adjust the thermostat if needed also. It works well.

jonflies
11-28-2003, 04:59
Scooby,

Email me at jpnwh@verizon.net. I'm in Winter Haven, with a 6.5 TD burb, with new IP/fsd, and a Beta kit still in the shipping bag on the floorboard.

pannhead
03-05-2004, 15:51
UC DAVIS, i've been running a 2 micron racor set-up for a few yrs with no problem (installed it right after my IP replacement in 2000)...my gauge shows 8 psi at idle...i take what stanadyne says with a grain of salt,at the same time i dont pretend to know everything...i'm either doing my IP a favor or killing it VERY slow...i'll report back on this in a couple years or whenever the D-MAX burb comes out :D

RonD
03-06-2004, 04:27
I exstended the harness to go inside my cab. ThePMD is now mounted just behind my break pedal. I have it attached to a large heat sink, with a small pc fan in front of it. It has been on for 30,000 miles and so far no problems. i believe the PMD cooks when you shut down. That why I moved it into my cab. If it falis I have a spare onboard to change it out quickly.

rjwest
03-06-2004, 12:30
QUESTION: Why does GM install filter/seperator on pressure side when RACOR and Perma cool say
water seperator function works better on suction side?????

My added filter is on suction side, always get
1/2 teaspoon of water/gunk when drained...
never got any water from GM filter....

eracers999
03-07-2004, 18:05
If you have a old stereo laying around it has a good heat sink in it. Mine come from a big yamaha and it is 3 times the size of the FSD.

Mounted the heat sink and the FSD right behind the front bumper in the square hole in the bumper.

If the truck is running it has a healthy flow of outside air on it always. Hell i was worried i might freeze the FSD on really cold days.
The FSD and heat sink never have any temp to them that i can tell.
Made my own extended harness to 6ft. Just solder and heat shrink decent wire to the length you need.
Kent

Bobbie Martin
03-07-2004, 18:54
I talked to the mechanic at the dealership that changed my injection pump. He said if I install any aftermarket items in the fuel system it will void the warranty This is total BS. Last time my PMD was warranteed, I had a Racor filter before the lift pump and the PMD was on a FSD cooler. No problems at all. If they want to warranty the pump, they will. BTW, my idea of relocating the PMD is to throw it as far away from the truck as you can!

k3500
03-10-2004, 23:02
spra01
I just made my own harness and the wires were 16 guage.I also made my own heat sink and mounted it to the skidpan behind bumper.

JohnC
03-11-2004, 13:53
The fuel solenoid draws a lot of current and switches on and off quite quickly. For this reason, I'd keep any extension harness as short as practical. Also, make sure the wires carrying power are up to the task. The original harness is only a few inches long, so if you go to 6 feet you've increased the path the current has to follow by a factor of about 15.

JMO...

JoeyD
03-11-2004, 17:06
Is it possible a small fan blowing at the pump could help and make it so you don't need to relocate the FSD?

RonD
03-12-2004, 09:56
I tried that once, placed a D.C. fan in front of it. It kept it cooler only by 20 degrees approx.
The fact is that this unit is sitting on top of a heat source. And what I believe is the main problem is when you shut down, the FSD bakes itself from all that heat. Not mention that the screws loosen up and you loose the surface contact with the injector as a heat sink.
Thats why I moved mine to inside the cab.