PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle 4" Exhaust being put on

Shuck
07-01-2004, 09:25
My Suburban is at the exhaust shop now. They just called and said they have to remove the fender well in order to install the new downpipe. I don't recall anyone else having to do that. Are they missing something or just trying to rip me off? Wishing I just would have done it myself, now...

Alf
07-01-2004, 09:42
No way does the inner fender HAVE to be removed!!
I can see, where fooling with the clamp at the turbo exit would certainly be "easier" once the fenderwell is out of the way.
BUT, I seem to remember that the instruction sheet that come with the parts says something about moving the radiator expantion tank out of the way, thus providing access to the clamp. Moving the expansion tank is what I did and it provided plenty of room to get the clamp properly posistioned. I can't (don't want to) put my hand on my instructions, as my helpful dog ate them as soon as my back was turned)
I hope they aren't going to charge you extra, just so they can do it the "Easy" way.

By the way, it's easier to change spark plugs on a gasser if you remove the engine from the truck first also. tongue.gif

[ 07-01-2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Alf ]

Billman
07-01-2004, 09:56
Sounds like BS.

If you remove the air cleaner assembly, the downpipe and clamp can be installed easier.

Shuck
07-01-2004, 09:56
Sadly, that seems to be the case. I knew I should have found a truck shop or something to deal with this. Probably going to be 4 hours of labor at $70 per hour. Hell, I probably could have put it on myself in 4 hours...

Duh duh duh. I know better than to take my stuff to a "chain" outlet - I don't know what I was thinking. Just for everyone's info, I took it to Meineke. Don't know what the crap I was thinking. I'm just hoping they call soon signifying it's done so I can get my baby out of there before they decide they need to do anything else just to get the exhaust on.

Shuck
07-01-2004, 10:28
Just got the call. All done. 3.5 hours of labor - total cost $255. That's almost more than the system cost in the first place!!!!

I'm gonna make sure the guy shows me what he did that took so dang long.

Alf
07-01-2004, 13:34
Come to think of it, it was the air filter assembly that got removed,my memory sucks. :D
I'd have a hard time trying to charge some one more than 2 or 2 1/2 hours to install that system.
Its really straight forward, no secrets. Unless maybe there was some unknown frame damage or sagging body mounts causing clearance problems.

Come to think about it, I haven't seen the dog for a while. Maybe She ate your instructions too?

Hate to see some one get hosed.
You are gonna love the sound!!!! enjoy :D

Shuck
07-02-2004, 07:30
Yeah - the system is awesome. I tend to spew a little more black smoke than I use to, but I think that might just be because I'm romping on it a little more to enjoy the sound.

I had the guy show me what he did - he removed the wheel well because it "made it a lot easier" to get the clamp on. I was like, whatever - paid my bill and made a note never to take my truck to a shop that does rice burners all day. I should have known better. He also commented on how it was one of the hardest systems he's had to install. I didn't tell him that I had heard about 10 do-it-yourselfers handled it in their driveways in about 2 hours.

99gmccrew
07-03-2004, 06:55
Mine turns out a little smoke now when I start it. I'm assuming that is because I no longer have that cat on.