PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan gasket Sealer?

BigMikeO
08-20-2003, 20:54
I have a question. Seeing as the removal of an oil pan on the 1995 6.5L Turbo GMC 2500 4x4 is such an absolute nightmare, is there anything out there that I can spread around the outside rim of the oil pan seal that will slow down or stop my leak? I would like to pull the oil pan and redo the seal but I just don't have the time with my Marriage coming up in 4 weeks. Also acording to everything I am reading you need to jack the engine up slightly to remove the oil pan, I just don't have access to an engine jack. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pgoldstein
08-22-2003, 23:07
BigMikeO
I have never had any success sealing oil pan gaskets with out removing them. The 6.5 TD is new to me but I do have several years of experiance on gas engines. I have had pretty good luck in the past replacing oil pan gaskets on gas engines by only dropping the pan gasket a few inches. I remove the old gasket and then carefully slide the new one under the oil sump. The only trick is to get the gasket clean after you drag it through the oil pan. Good luck.

charliepeterson
08-23-2003, 14:35
Make sure the CDR valve isn't plugged up. This is the sideways tuna can on the curb side valve cover. If this fails closed then the crankcase pressure builds up and the oil has to come out somewhere.