PDA

View Full Version : Low Coolent Idiot Light

MartyB
08-20-2003, 20:55
Besides telling me I am low on coolent, does this do anything else?

Over the weekend pulling my travel trailer, this light would come on periodically when the water temps hit 205-210F. Yet I had plenty of fluid in the overflow tank. EGT's were with in spec, as was water temps for the hills I was pulling etc. There is and was no real reason for the light to go on.

So I am wondering if the sending unit is going haywire? Or is it able to sense the amount of anitfreeze vs water mix? I am probably a bit low/weak right now, as it does need replacing before winter. If so, why would the light eventually go back off?

I am swag'ing the unit needs to be replaced, any other thoughts experiences.

catmandoo
08-20-2003, 21:07
when i bought my 92 the guy said on occasion the low coolant lite would come on and said don't worry about it then one day it decided to stay on and temp was still down so stopped and checked and it was full and got to wiggling the connector on the rad and seemed loose so pulled it off and the little brass contact on the inside of the wire and it was really expanded so i took a little screwdriver and bent it closed somewhat and it hasn't come on since.

Johnny B.
08-20-2003, 22:25
My low coolant light comes on about once every other month after I start the engine when its cold. The light usually stays on for about 20-30 seconds and then turns itself off. The first couple of times I physically checked the overflow tank finding it full.