PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal Replacement

slagona
08-21-2003, 07:25
Since we've lost all the posts on turn signal replacement, I thought I'd add one since I had to replace my turn signal mechanism yesterday. Every GM truck I've owned has needed the multi function switch replacement. 1990 GMC 1500 needed it at 30K miles. 2000 GMC 3500 needed it at 20K. 1999 GMC Suburban needed it at 154K.

The symptoms have all been the same - clicking sound like the turn signals are on when the turn signals are not on. Only the sound is there - no turn signal lights come on. The signals do work correctly when they are turned on. On one vehicle with the turn signals turned off, the turn signal indicators on the dash would light up when the clicking noise was present.

Replacement is fairly simple - $155 for the part at autozone (over $300 from the dealer) and about an hour to replace. The dealer quoted me a little over $500 for the job about a year ago. The autozone part is the exact OEM part.

The steering column covers come off first. 2 screws hold on the lower. 2 screws hold on the upper half of the cover also. The ignition (key) also needs to be removed in order to get the top half off. When I took a truck to the dealer for diagnostics (thought it was still under warranty) - they simply put a cut in the cover under the ignition and slipped it off instead of removing the ignition. Really irritated me. For 15 minutes, I tried to remove the ignition yesterday. I finally gave up and put a cut in the cover also. There is a hole in the top of the ignition in which you are supposed to put a pin in (awl or other such device) - turn the key to start - push the pin down, turn to run and pull the ignition module out. Didn't work for me. The cut works fine and isn't noticeable unless you take the bottom cover off.

The multi function switch comes off by removing 2 screws and disconnecting the wiring at the harness block. The metal is sharp under the dash, so expect a few cuts around the knuckles.

--Scott

CareyWeber
08-21-2003, 12:36
Scott,

I did mine with a Auto Zone switch about 5 months ago, and now when using the cruise, and it drops out lots of times, but it did fix mine wiper issue.

When I lookat the old one real close the wires on it were broken.

Carey

slagona
08-22-2003, 05:49
I haven't used the cruise yet - but will test it out for at least 25 miles on the way home tonight.

--Scott

jharl@harrelsons.com
11-17-2003, 08:29
I am in the middle of replacing the multi function switch as well. I cannot find the little screws to remove on the arm out of the switch. I hve the arm assemlby to replace. cruise not working.

John

93 c3500 td

slagona
11-17-2003, 11:15
Hi John,

You'll have to clarify a little for me. I'm not quite sure what screws you are refering to.

The steering column cover needs to be removed first. Remove the bottom half of the cover via the two screws under the cover. The upper half is removed via two screws also. They require a femail thorx bit. One is easily spotted, the other is near the ignition switch - hidden a little. You must either remove the ignition or put a cut on the bottom portion of the ring around the ignition in order to remove the upper half of the cover.

Once the cover is off, the entire turn/hazard/cruise/wiper mechanism is removed via two (if I remember correctly) screws. The new assembly is installed in the reverse order.

If you need addtional info, let me know which screws you are having trouble with.

--Scott