PDA

View Full Version : New Pump

Shad
01-21-2005, 12:02
Sorry I have not been on for a while for I have bought another truck and been neglecting my suburban for a while. Anyways it has been starting harder and harder ever since I bought it 2 years ago.Now at 145K miles After replacing the lift pump,glow plugs, doing everything I know I finally took it down to diesel injection service to get a look. And unfortunately they told me after tests they told me I need a new pump, $1900.00 parts and labor. This a state of the art shop w/major manufacture pumps on hand. Do you guys think this too much? My plans were to sell this truck but if I need to spend this much I am thinking of keeping it. I need to give them an answer monday, just seems a little steep.

David Brady
01-21-2005, 12:15
I replaced my pump myself, pump was $1300 and I did pump and injectors and 1 valve cover gasket and bigger exhaust but took about 16 hrs of work. I think the exhaust took 1/2 my time. I haven't done the pump before so a good mechanic should be quicker than that. My "mechanic" quoted me $1650 and I thought that was steep. But I didn't figure my labor or my rental car. Your garage overhead may be high in the winter up there. :cool:

Kennedy
01-21-2005, 13:39
Pretty high dollar.

Any trouble codes set? You can read them yourself on 94-5s with a paperclip:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/readcodes.html

Shad
01-21-2005, 14:08
They said they were confident it was the pump suffering a slow death. I had no running issues or hot start/stalling. Just cold start problems.They said they ran the tests and even tried a new pmd and no change. It seemed like when cold I have had to crank it longer and longer to get it to catch then she would shake,rattle,miss and smoke for about 2 minutes even at 40 deg outside. I gave them the ok to fix seeing I have no scan tool to check timing nor do I have the time to fix. I'll work a day or 2 of overtime to cover the labor cost. I'll let you guy's know how it turns out.

Kennedy
01-21-2005, 14:26
If it is a 5068 pump, I'd suggest replacing it with a 5521. This wil require an eprom change, BUT you will now be "main stream universal" in that they all interchange except the 5068...

I thought $1500 was bordering on high dollar...

BUZZ
01-21-2005, 15:36
Shad,
I am interested in what pump # your currently have on your truck. Also very interested in the cold start after the pump change you getting ready to have done . Have you checked with GM as to when the current pump was installed? My starting problems began when I received a new pump under warraanty. Starts like yours, pure crap!
Thanks
Buzz

Shad
01-25-2005, 00:52
Should pick up my truck today. They were going to do a cold start to make sure everything is allright. I will try to get the #'s on the pumps when I pick it up.

DA BIG ONE
01-25-2005, 00:57
Originally posted by Shad:
Should pick up my truck today. They were going to do a cold start to make sure everything is allright. I will try to get the #'s on the pumps when I pick it up. Good luck, and keep us informed!

Shad
01-26-2005, 02:55
Well I still don't have my truck yet. They said they were not happy with the way it started cold however it was better, still smokes. Next they were testing the glow system and a compression test and calling today. I am really starting to get a bad feeling in my gut about this.(cant sleep thinking about the bill)They rattled off the numbers on the specs of the old pump but I dont remember (it was bad). They said I'tll all be on the work order. My worst fear is to have to tear down a motor like Ronniejoe. I was supposed to sell this truck but I think I'll be having to keep it to recover the costs now.
Sorry for rambling I try to get a nap in today. Keep ya posted

BUZZ
01-26-2005, 13:27
Shad,
Many of us are having poor cold start issues after new IP replacement some under warranty. I hope they figure yours out and for no more money. They may discover the need for new injectors or the need for new timimg gears and chain. I don't know what the problem is and don't have the time or money to throw at poor cold starts.
I hope yours works out and you are happy, and that you will share the findings of your problem.
Thanks
Buzz

Kennedy
01-26-2005, 13:32
I'd bet that there was REALLY nothing major wrong with the pump...

Spindrift
01-26-2005, 14:03
jk,

There is another post (packmaster) describing similar problems upon cold start. Any ideas, other than possible grounding and/or connectivity issues?

Shad
01-26-2005, 15:52
I talked to them today and they said starts were still rough and they were going to check cyls 4,6,8 for compression for they are hardest to get at. another concern they mentioned was the timing chain, so they were going to check that also. They said the pump had a pulse width of over 1.9-2.0 on the scan tool. They told me that was high and changed the pump however The glow system checked out well. I talked to the tech and told him my concern about a big bill and they said they would work with me cause originally they thought the pump would fix the problem. I told them to take their time and find the problem seeing how I have other transportation. I'll find out more tomorrow.

Shad
01-28-2005, 07:27
I got my truck back today, I will see tonight how I starts. $2176,00 was the total bill. I hope It is better now . The new pump # is a 5459.
The breakdown of parts and labor is on Buzzes post Rebuilt pumps.

Kennedy
01-28-2005, 08:06
The majority of the pumps that I see are at 1.9 or higher. I seriously doubt the pump was bad.

Current on truck spec is 1.3-2.2

A new pump with areading of 1.6 to 1.7 on the test stand will often show as 1.8-1.9 on the truck.

A set of glow plugs and a little more glow time is the best remedy for cold starting problems...

BUZZ
02-01-2005, 17:08
Hey Shad,
How does your truck start after the work you had done?
Thanks
Buzz

Shad
02-02-2005, 02:52
Well it does start better, I noiticed it pops over as soon as you turn the key. The motor is a little louder the first few min or so. But I still have smoke at start up even at 32 deg outside (a min or so). The diesel shop suggested possibly new injectors and maybe a manual glow switch to increase glow time. I do have Ken's quick heats installed last year.
I think you were right Mr. Kennedy I'll try the extra glow time first. How long can I manual glow on the quick heats before I damage things?

mrussell
02-02-2005, 04:43
I had similar problems on my 99 sub with @100k. The only difference is that I already had a newly replaced pump (waranty)... New injectors and new quick heat g.p. did the trick for me. (I also added a J.k 3.5 inch exaust, sounds great and seems to free up the engine significantly by seat of the pants...)Starts better than it ever has since I owned it (since 60k). I live in Michigan and it now starts great not plugged in down to low single digits. Just a small black puff at initial start and no smoking, smooth running as well. Previous was alot of cranking, rough and irregular running at first and lots of grey smoke.... I hope it was not just the injectors.....

Previous vehicle was a 93 dodge that ran as good at 270 k as when I bought it new. It was NEVER plugged in. As soon as you turned the key, it was running, no cranking.... I was a little disapointed in the cold start ability of the 6.5 until the recent changes....