PDA

View Full Version : Miss @idle when cold.

BigDiesel
07-01-2004, 10:46
My truck lately has been having a slight miss at idle when first started. It goes away if you give it more pedal and generally only occurs @ idle-1100 rpm. It doesn't happen when the engine warms up. I had a new PMD installed on my remote cooler a few months ago because of a surging/stalling condition. In the end it turned out that the connection at the pmd and harness wasn't getting a complete contact.
I don't have any smoke and other than the miss, she runs great and delivers 20+ mpg. My truck has never been a great cold starter.(compared to my cummins anyway)
It's totally stock except for the k&n, turbomaster and gauges.
I had it in @ the stealers a couple of months ago before we drove to vegas and got them to scan for a ses light. It was inj pump related and while checking, the tech told me that the timing was out, but that if it wasn't running bad to just leave it. I don't recall the exact timing it had, but it wasn't anything near -1.94. (maybe -1.5??)
How does one time the inj pump?
I did a search, but no one seemed to replicate my symptoms exactly.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave
p.s- it has a recent fuel filter as well

Turbine Doc
07-01-2004, 12:19
Big Diesel you need a scan tool to time or do anything beyond basic TS on OBD-II I'm afraid, also somebody that can interpret what the scan tool tells them, probably best bet for you is to find a good mechanic you trust get them to scan it and post here, unless you know of a dealer that knows 6.5 intimately.

Most dealers now know only Dmax unless they have some older techs that still know their way around these "obsolete" engines.

I just reread your post, you are getting 20+ mpg running 35" tires??? what gears do you have, how fast do you or should I say how slow do you drive, that is great mileage for that size tire.

Just an off chance have you verified engine rpm could you be running sub idle , but showing higher, off the cuff thinking is alternator gives rpm signal, if wrong pulley on alt could be showing wrong rpm being higher than actual.

Did you have this problem pre IP change as well?

BigDiesel
07-01-2004, 14:04
Hey Tim. When I drove to Vegas in april, I was able to get there burning 2 tanks of fuel(65-75 mph). 2400km using 250 liters of fuel= 25 mpg(canadian of course) probably 20-21 US. That was before the lift and tires. I'm assuming that I lost 2-3mpg due to the lift and tires, as I don't regularly check my mileage unless I go on a long trip. I run 3.73 gears with the 35's and it's perfect. I'm turning 1750-1800rpm @ 65 and have power to spare. I haven't verified rpm unless it is checked with the scan tool. Before I had the surging/stalling fixed I'm pretty sure it would miss, but it was constant and all throughout the rpm range. I did not change the Inj Pump.

Turbine Doc
07-01-2004, 14:15
Scan tool would have same rpm as what is on tach as they come from the same place, 20 mpg on stock tires at 65 with 3:73s that is about norm, 20 with 35" got my attention left me wondering what magic were you working I could copy.

On the idle thing it may be the temp sensor for cold advance, I'll have to spend some time in the manual to be more specific, but i think I recall somewhere here on the site or in the manual idle can vary depending on temp sensor input.

BigDiesel
07-03-2004, 10:24
I swapped my spare pmd on it yesterday and it has the same problem as before. It misses pretty hard @ idle when cold, causing a little puff of black smoke when it "chugs" really hard. However when it warms up, she runs like a top. I have no idea on this one. I hope it's the cold advance your talking about.
Dave

BigDiesel
07-04-2004, 19:31
Update: Go to start it today and nothing. It would just chug for 1/2 second and then die.
?????
Any ideas?